LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Combined Degree: Multimedia Journalism B.A., B.S., and Communication, M.S.
Grand Valley State University combined degree programs offer students
the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree,
meeting their unique personal, academic, and career goals. Pursuing a
combined degree can reduce the cost and total time required to
The combined degree curriculum is a versatile program that meets the needs of those in the field of communication, stressing skills such as the analysis of written and visual communication, designing clear and informative messages, building persuasive appeals, and critically analyzing the persuasive appeals of others.
Interested students should contact the program during the fall semester of their junior year. Application requirements:
- Grade point average of 3.3 (B+) or greater;
- A minimum of 75 hours undergraduate academic credit completed or in progress; and
- Completion of or registration for COM 495 Capstone.
Applicants are required to submit:
- Online application
- Current resume
- A 500-word essay
- GVSU transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
Application deadline is April 1. Student must meet with the program director to verify the course schedule for senior year.
Why Pursue Combined Degrees at Grand Valley?
- Combined bachelor's/master's programs allow high-achieving students to complete both a B.A./B.S. and M.S. in as little as five calendar years, saving time and tuition.
- Accelerate your career trajectory and complete your degrees one step ahead of the competition.
- Faculty members specialize in teaching communication concepts and skills that are relevant and in-demand.
- Students will gain leadership skills, knowledge of theory, research, and professional practice; the ability to access information to solve communication problems; and the ability to effectively implement information into the decision-making process.
- The program has many ties with business, community, and cultural organizations, and has contacts with experts in a variety of areas in the field of communication.