LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Business Fundamentals undergraduate adult online certificate
Employers want people who understand the essentials of how a business operates. A certificate in business fundamentals from Grand Valley State University develops these skills, enhancing your major degree of study and preparing you for your future career.
The business fundamentals certificate helps you develop financial and accounting acumen, as well as better understand the fundamentals of the human side of business and organizational operations. You will build the knowledge and skills necessary to better understand business operations and manage others. Skills developed include analyzing financial statements and performance, creating operating budgets, managing and motivating others, and analyzing and using marketing information.
Skills Employers Want
The business fundamentals certificate provides you with essential skills necessary for 21st century careers:
- Describe the fundamental role, purpose, and function of managers.
- Recognize, use, and communicate marketing information.
- Understand the fundamentals of accounting principles and transactions, and how they affect decision-makers in an organization.
- Identify, calculate, and analyze the costs of financial decisions in an organization, including product costs, labor costs, and budget variances.
Why study Business Essentials at Grand Valley?
- You will develop professional skills that are in-demand with employers.
- You will add a recognized credential to enhance your degree and bolster your resume.
- Our faculty and support staff provide direct, practical guidance to ensure you thrive.
- The certificate program can be completed in one year or less.
While the courses cannot be used to complete a business degree from Seidman College of Business, several may be applied towards a general business minor. To learn more about this certificate either as part of a degree or as a stand-alone certificate option, schedule an appointment with an advisor.
Location & Format
This program can be completed fully online.Format:
The leadership certificate is comprised of 12 credits:
- ACC 201 - Accounting for Non-Business Majors 1* (1.5 credits)
- ACC 202 - Accounting for Non-Business Majors 2* (1.5 credits)
- FIN 300 - Fundamentals of Finance for Non-Business Majors* (3 credits)
- MGT 300 - Fundamentals of Management for Non-Business Majors (3 credits)
- MKT 300 - Fundamentals of Marketing for Non-Business Majors (3 credits)
*MTH 110 course prerequisite
Skills Employers Want
The business fundamentals certificate provides non-business people a basic understanding of business practices. This benefits those who may be looking for career advancement by giving them skills employer's are looking for, including:
- Business Development
- Business Process
Source: EMSI 2021
For More InformationAdult and Continuing Studies