Applied Behavior Analysis graduate certificate
Many school and healthcare professionals are seeking graduate level programs that teach them to incorporate behavior analytic principles and practices into their work with individuals with learning, behavior, and performance challenges.
The GVSU psychology department offers an online graduate certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) that allows students to pursue certification as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA). Students will develop in-depth knowledge and applied competence in the delivery of behavior analysis to improve the quality of life of individuals in schools, community, and work settings. Graduates are equipped with the skills to bring about socially significant behavior change through data-based decision making and program development.
Admission to the school psychology program or a master's degree is required for acceptance to the program. To become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), students must meet the Behavior Analyst Certification Board course requirements and supervised experience requirements, and pass the BCBA exam.
- Financial Aid
- Course Catalog
- Psychology - Applied Behavioral Analysis certificate Programs
For More InformationDepartment of Psychology
1 Campus Drive
Location & Format
All classes for this program can be completed online.Format:
Students will complete seven courses (21 credits total) that meet the 5th Edition Task List coursework requirements of the Behavior Analyst Certification Board. The GVSU ABA certificate program is a Verified Course Sequence by the Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI).
- PSY 522 - ABA I: Foundational Principles
- PSY 523 - ABA II: Application to Behavior Change
- PSY 525 - Behavior Analysis Applied to Autism Spectrum Disorders and Developmental Disorders
- PSY 527 - Ethics and Diversity in Professional Practice
- PSY 550 - Research in Applied Settings
- PSY 624 - Behavioral Assessment and Intervention
- PSY 658 - Advanced ABA
All courses are offered online. The first course in the sequence, PSY 522, starts in the fall.
Skills Employers Want
A graduate certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is highly beneficial to educational systems to improve instruction for all students and classroom behavior support. Teachers, consultants, school psychologists, and administrators find that education in behavior analysis assists them in multiple areas of their work with students and school-based staff.
The ABA Graduate Certificate will graduates meet many goals, including: enhancing their skills with classroom learning and behavior support, advancing their education, earning BCBA certification, and using the principles of behavior in everyday life. The rising incidences of autism in the U.S. have thrust applied behavior analysis (ABA) into the spotlight as a respected therapy for autism spectrum disorders, resulting in a growing demand for applied behavior analysts and rising salaries in the profession. Applied behavior analysis certificate holders work in healthcare or education professions and become Applied Behavior Analysts or Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA®s).
The application deadline is June 1, though applications may be considered after that date. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University.
Please visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
Students may enter the ABA Graduate Certificate program in two ways:
1. Applicants to the ABA Graduate Certificate program must demonstrate completion of a Master’s Degree with a minimum 3.0 grade point average. To be eligible for consideration, applications must include submission of the following materials:
- all graduate admission materials required by the university (below)
- a professional vita or resume
- three professional letters of recommendation
- a 2-page personal statement outlining interest in the field of Applied Behavior Analysis and the program at Grand Valley State University, relevant experience, and educational and professional goals
- Note: GRE score is NOT required.
2. Students admitted to the GVSU school psychology graduate program are automatically admitted to the ABA graduate certificate program.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)