Education, Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
The master's degree in educational leadership program provides aspiring educational leaders with clinical experiences, case methods of teaching, and pragmatic curriculum geared to the specific knowledge required for success in school-level leadership for pre-K through grade 12. This program is designed to prepare aspiring leaders with specific knowledge required for school level leadership success and impact.
Visit the program website for more information.
Listen to Podcast
The Educational Leadership program prepares educators to serve as leaders in school buildings and in some cases, districts. The emphasis areas focus on effective leadership, curriculum organization and improvement, personnel administration, finance, law, assessment, instructional leadership, and more. Additionally, there is an emphasis on theory to application and relevancy to the practices most important for effective educational leadership.
Why Study Educational Leadership at Grand Valley?
- The program opens up a number of career opportunities for professional educators.
- Faculty members have extensive K-12 teaching and administrative backgrounds.
- The program curriculum provides a high-quality blend of educational theory and practical application in the field.
- Flexible hybrid classes offered evenings, weekends, and during summer make it easier for teachers and administrators to plan their schedules. Some classes are offered in an online format.
- Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.
Grand Valley State University's College of Education and Community Innovation is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA). The faculty are leaders in their fields, melding together the philosophy of education and your needs as a practitioner.
Location & Format
Fully online or hybrid program that requires 3 face-to-face meetings per semester.
This program is available in Grand
Rapids. Traverse City, and Detroit.
All Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs require a minimum of 33 semester hours. To receive the M.Ed in Leadership, students must complete the College of Education and Community Innovation foundations requirements and one of the emphasis areas.
- P-12 teaching
- School administration
- Special education supervisor
- College level professional and administrative positions
Aside from an M.Ed. degree, other education programs are available. Visit gvsu.edu/education/grad for more information.
Deadline for fall semester is July 15; winter, November 15; spring/summer, March 15. Early application is strongly encouraged to secure course enrollment. Those applications received after the deadline will be considered on an individual basis and program availability. Late applicants should contact program director Rick Vandermolen, [email protected] The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if you have previously applied to GVSU.
- The Education programs have rolling admissions deadlines to ensure maximum flexibility for our applicants
- Up to 9 credit hours can be transferred from other institutions (many institutions only allow up to 6 transfer credits)
- Enrollment begins in mid-March for the following academic year to give students additional time to plan
- GVSU allows you up to 8 years to complete your graduate program (more time than most other institutions)
- You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution
Visit the Education page for criteria and procedures.
For More InformationCollege of Education and Community Innovation
401 Fulton Street West, Building C
Program Contact: Rick Vandermolen, Ed.D., [email protected]
Rick Vandermolen, Ed.D.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)