CLAS documents, forms, policies
Scheduling & staffing
Teaching & curriculum
University useful links
CLAS Strategic Plan
Additional Resources on Blackboard
Some resources for unit heads are posted on the Unit Heads Blackboard site.
CLAS Agenda Planning Committee
Large Academic: Debbie Herrington (CHM), Esther Billings (MTH)
Medium Academic: Janel Pettes-Guikema, Ashley Shannon (ENG)
Small Academic:Mark Staves (CMB)
Booking Conference Rooms
- 308 PAD, 1-2495
- B-4-243 MAK, 1-2495
- B-4-106 MAK,Geography and Sustainable Planning,
- B-2-226 MAK, 1-2495
- Kirkhof Center and Cook DeWitt, contact Event Services
- See Tracy McLenithan for Adjunct/overload
Members of the Budget Planning Committee
Susan Weise (minutes)
CLAS Academic Advising Center (C-1-140 MAK) phone 1-8585
- e-mail [email protected]
- CLAS procedures for reinstatement to the university
CLAS Acts TT faculty e-newsletter
- contact: Director of Communications 1-2495
CLAS Dean's Office, B-4-232 MAK, 1-2495 (see also Dean's Office)
- for database and demographic information contact Heidi Nicholson, 1-3181
The CLAS Teacher archive (newsletter for AFF, VIS, ADJ faculty of CLAS)
CLAS Weekly Mailing
- contact: Director of Communications 1-2495
- commencement website
- Need regalia? It can be ordered through the GVSU Laker Store. Call 331-2450. Please allow 4-6 weeks. CLAS also has a few robes to lend.
Complaints & grievances
- Policy website
- Faculty Grievance Committee (non-UAS) membership
- Assistant Dean to consult regarding student complaints Betty Schaner. Call 1-2495
- Public Safety related
- Who does what?
- Organizational Chart of the CLAS College Office and Unit Heads (as of Dec. 9, 2022)
- Photos & bio sketches
- Borrow the Popcorn Machine, contact Director of Communications 1-2495
- Resource: Dir. of CLAS Communications, (ph 1-2495)
- GVSU Web Team, Institutional Marketing (ph 1-2525)
- Get training on the GVSU Content Management System; contact the GVSU Web Team
- Links to CLAS Departmental websites
- The Digital Studio is available for faculty/staff and students to have media digitized. Computing and Technology Support is staffing a Digital Studio. It is equipped with high-end technology and the latest software titles. The digital studio seeks to promote the creation of virtual learning experiences through providing consulting services, project development, and technology exploration. D-2-329 Mackinac Digital Studio website
- CLAS Assistant Dean with responsibility for facilities planning, George McBane (ph 1-2495)
- Facilities request form
- Facilities request process guidelines
- Faculty Facilities Planning Committee (UAS)
- Keys: The process for requesting keys from Facilities Services in now online. Directions are posted on the department's website, and click on "Submit Key Request." Staff members are no longer required to provide a key code, only the room number and building. Keys for a desk or file cabinet will require a specific lock number.
FAP/FAR Calendar 2022-23
October 1 - Faculty use Digital Measures to create their Faculty Activity Plans (FAPs) and submit to their unit heads. Joint appointees submit to BOTH unit heads.
October 15 - In the cases of joint appointees, the unit head in the secondary unit submits feedback on the FAP to the primary unit head.
October 15 through November 30 - Unit process for reviewing FAPs.
December 1 - Completion of FAP review process. Units do not need to forward FAPs to the Dean’s office but should store electronic copies of all FAPs.
January 16 - Faculty use Digital Measures to create their Faculty Activity Reports (FARs) and submit to their unit heads, along with an updated CV. Joint appointee submit to BOTH unit heads.
January 16 - Date by which unit head lets Associate Dean Anderson know of unit decision regarding waiving unit peer review process.
January 28 - For joint appointments and other reassignments, date by which secondary unit head submits feedback on FAR to primary unit’s head so that this feedback can appropriately be taken into consideration.
February 17 - Last date by which unit’s peer review should be complete, considering joint appointment feedback when relevant. (Units may opt for earlier deadlines.)
March 10 - Unit heads submit faculty FARs and CVs. The submission process is through the Faculty Activity Report website.
Communication to faculty: Once confirmed by Dean, unit head may share category with faculty; ordinarily this happens by commencement.
*This calendar is constructed in collaboration with Brooks College so that the dates pertaining to joint appointments are shared between our two colleges.
- CLAS webpage on Governance and Elections TT
- CLAS webpage on Governance and Elections AFF
- GVSU webpage on Governance
- See also Blackboard for governance materials
- Request a report listing those in your department currently on CLAS, UAS and nonUAS committees
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences includes master's degree programs in several disciplines.
- Center for Scholarly & Creative Excellence, contact Bob Smart
- Office of Sponsored Programs, contact Director of Grants Development and Administration
- CLAS financial accounting related to grants, Assistant Dean Michelle McCloud, B-4-232 MAK, ph 1-2495
- Promotion of newly received grants, Director of Communications (CLAS); also University Communications
- Diversity Resources Office
- Human Resources Hiring Supervisor Resources
- Affirmative Action webpage
- Inclusion & Equity Division
- IT info for new faculty and staff
- Recruiting Expenses Policy
- Contact regarding new positions, AD Donovan Anderson 1-2495
- Contact regarding procedure, Tracy McLenithan
- Position numbers assigned for each approved faculty line; the dollar amount that is in those lines (salary available); status of the searches; request to interview; selection approval notification and contract offers --contact Tracy McLenithan
- Online search process, contact your HR Generalist
- CLAS DEI-AB webpage
- Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center
- Center for Women & Gender Equity (CWGE)
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Division of Inclusion & Equity
- Multi-faith Calendar A great resource for planners.
- Director of Laboratory Operations, Aaron Perry, 2200h P. Douglas Kindschi Hall of Science
(616) 331-3969 [email protected]
- safety website
- Director of Laboratory Safety Jim Seufert 1-8628
- other contacts
- Language Resource Center
- Computer labs
- Speech Lab
Meetings, conducting productive
- New faculty orientation, contact ph 1-2495 Donovan Anderson
- Resources Useful for New Faculty
- New faculty networking social, contact the CLAS college office (1-2495)
CLAS Personnel Calendar for 2023
January 9 All materials must be uploaded to candidate’s personnel Blackboard site by 5 p.m.
January 9 Unit head copies contents of candidate’s personnel Blackboard site to the unit personnel Blackboard site at 5 p.m.
February 11 Units submit contract renewal materials to the dean’s office (CLAS Personnel Committee)
February 18 Units submit tenure and promotion materials to the dean’s office (CLAS Personnel Committee)
February 25 Units submit promotion only materials (promotion to associate professor if not associated with a tenure decision)
March 17 CLAS Personnel Committee submits recommendations to the Dean (Third Friday in March)
April 15 Notification by the Dean to faculty member of recommendation to the Provost
June 1 Provost provides notification of decisions
- Human Resources Office
- Time off/leaves
- College and unit personnel criteria, see https://www.gvsu.edu/upr/
- Promotion & Tenure
- CLAS Standards & Criteria for Personnel Evaluation (on Provost's website; requires log in)
- CPC Guidelines for Unit Head and Colleagues
- Procedure for transmittal of materials to CPC (paper, electronic)
- CLAS Personnel Forms
- University Communications has professional photographers that may be available to be booked for your event. Individual portraits can be taken for a small fee.
- Promotion of news and up-coming events, Director of Communication (CLAS)
- University Communications contact for most things in CLAS is Peg West.
- Submit news to The Forum
Record Retention/information security
Regional Math & Science Center, 1-2267
Risk Reduction for Experiential Learning
Salary Adjustment Process
- FWP FWR Calendar
- Peer Recommendation for Colleague
- Unit Head’s Summary of Peer Recommendations
- Salary Adjustment Process
- All course changes outside of Rounds 1 and 2 should be submitted as Requests in Coursedog. Questions may be directed to Tracy McLenithan or George McBane as appropriate.
- Registrar's page on scheduling
- Department dibs room use policy: After Round 1 of scheduling each fall, schedules for all rooms that have dibs assigned to CLAS departments will be reviewed. All General Purpose and Lecture Hall rooms should be scheduled for at least 41 class hours (50 minutes each) each semester. Any department-dibs room not used a total of 81 class hours per week across fall and winter semesters, and no fewer than 36 hours/week in either semester, will be returned to the main CLAS pool the following year. The scheduled courses will not be removed, but the department will no longer have exclusive access to the room for the first round of scheduling.
The 41-hour expectation also applies to Dual Purpose or Computer classrooms with department dibs, though they are not subject to the dibs-withdrawal policy during scheduling for AY 23/24. They may become subject to the policy in future years.
Special Purpose rooms are not subject to this policy.
The scheduled usage for each Allendale room is available in the ‘open slot list’ file for each upcoming semester at < Room Capacity page on the ALL Room Usage tab.
Departments that expect not to be able to fill their dibs rooms to this standard are encouraged to contact the College to either (1) arrange to release one or more rooms in advance, or (2) arrange to share first-round priority with one or more other departments.
Staffing Plan Information
- deadlines--contact Tracy McLenithan
- Adjunct Salary Guidelines (password protected PDF)
- EAP request for teaching form
- limits of credit hours--see Admin Manual
Statistical Consulting Center, A-1-178 MAK, 1-3355
Strategic Planning Resources
- GVSU Assessment
- CLAS Strategic Plan and those of CLAS Units are on the university Strategic Plan webpage
- CLAS Strategic Plan
- Student Code
- Complaints and Grievances (Article IV)
- grade appeal (Appendix B of Code)
- Student Fellowship award opportunities www.gvsu.edu/fellowships
Training needed by new Unit Heads
- IT Training (general)
- Banner - Finance (Accounting Business Office, 331-2233)
- Banner - Permit overrides (Records)
- OnBase - (Accounting Business Office, 331-2233)
- Ultratime - PSS biweekly hours (Payroll)
- Ultratime - Quarterly vacation approval
- GV Assess
Travel & Expense
Unit Head resources
- Unit Head List Winter 2023
- CLAS Unit Head Dashboard
- Effective Agendas for Effective Meetings (a page of tips)
- Banner (self-serve)
- IT Training &Workshops
- Admin Manual and other Handbooks are now the University Policies website
- GVSU Lab Safety Website
- Conflict Resolution website (HR)
Unit Head meeting schedule
January 18, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
February 1, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
February 15, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
March 1, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
March 15, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
March 29, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
April 19, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
May 3, 3 – 5 p.m. Kirkhof Room 2215/2216
Weekly Mailings and other archives