CLAS documents, forms, policies
Scheduling & staffing
Teaching & curriculum
University useful links
CLAS Strategic Plan
Additional Resources on Blackboard
Some resources for unit heads are posted on the Unit Heads Blackboard site.
CLAS Agenda Planning Committee
Large Academic: Debbie Herrington (CHM), Esther Billings (MTH)
Medium Academic: Janel Pettes-Guikema, Ashley Shannon (ENG)
Small Academic:Mark Staves (CMB) 2, Open
Booking Conference Rooms
- 308 PAD, 1-2495
- B-4-243 MAK, 1-2495
- B-4-106 MAK, 1-2495
- B-2-226 MAK, 1-2495
- Kirkhof Center and Cook DeWitt, contact Event Services
- See Tracy McLenithan for Adjunct/overload
Members of the Budget Planning Committee
Darren Walhof (2022)
Janet Vigna (2022)
Chris Toth (2023)
Rich Vallery (2023)
Heather Van Wormer (2023)
- Academic calendars
- CLAS Resource Calendar
- Multi-faith calendar
- UH annual calendar of deadlines and events
CLAS Academic Advising Center (C-1-140 MAK) phone 1-8585
- e-mail email@example.com
- CLAS procedures for reinstatement to the university
CLAS Acts TT faculty e-newsletter
CLAS Dean's Office, B-4-232 MAK, 1-2495 (see also Dean's Office)
Organizational Chart of the CLAS College Office and Unit Heads (as of Mar. 23, 2022)
- for database and demographic information contact Heidi Nicholson, 1-3181
The CLAS Teacher archive (newsletter for AFF, VIS, ADJ faculty of CLAS)
CLAS Weekly Mailing
- commencement website
- Need regalia? It can be ordered through the GVSU Laker Store. Call 331-2450. Please allow 4-6 weeks.
- CLAS Regalia Repair Clinic
Complaints & grievances
- Policy website
- Faculty Grievance Committee (non-UAS) membership
- Assistant Dean to consult regarding student complaints Betty Schaner. Call 1-2495
- Public Safety related
- Who does what?
- Organizational Chart of the CLAS College Office and Unit Heads (as of June 7, 2021)
- Photos & bio sketches
- Borrow the Popcorn Machine, contact Monica Johnstone, 1-2495
- Resource: Dir. of CLAS Communications, Monica Johnstone (ph 1-2495)
- GVSU Web Team, Institutional Marketing (ph 1-2525)
- Get training on the GVSU Content Management System; contact the GVSU Web Team
- Links to CLAS Departmental websites
- The Digital Studio is available for faculty/staff and students to have media digitized. Computing and Technology Support is staffing a Digital Studio. It is equipped with high-end technology and the latest software titles. The digital studio seeks to promote the creation of virtual learning experiences through providing consulting services, project development, and technology exploration. D-2-329 Mackinac Digital Studio website
- CLAS Assistant Dean with responsibility for facilities planning, George McBane (ph 1-2495)
- Facilities request form
- Facilities request process guidelines
- Faculty Facilities Planning Committee (UAS)
- Keys: The process for requesting keys from Facilities Services in now online. Directions are posted on the department's website, and click on "Submit Key Request." Staff members are no longer required to provide a key code, only the room number and building. Keys for a desk or file cabinet will require a specific lock number.
- CLAS webpage on Governance and Elections
- GVSU webpage on Governance
- See also Blackboard for governance materials
- Request a report listing those in your department currently on CLAS, UAS and nonUAS committees
Graders (Student Grader application--accessible to unit heads only)
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences includes master's degree programs in several disciplines.
- Center for Scholarly & Creative Excellence, contact Bob Smart
- Office of Sponsored Programs, contact Director of Grants Development and Administration
- CLAS financial accounting related to grants, Assistant Dean Michelle McCloud, B-4-232 MAK, ph 1-2495
- Promotion of newly received grants, Monica Johnstone (CLAS); also University Communications
- Diversity Resources Office
- Human Resources Hiring Supervisor Resources
- Affirmative Action webpage
- Inclusion & Equity Division
- IT info for new faculty and staff
- Recruiting Expenses Policy
- Contact regarding new positions, AD Donovan Anderson 1-2495
- Contact regarding procedure, Tracy McLenithan
- Position numbers assigned for each approved faculty line; the dollar amount that is in those lines (salary available); status of the searches; request to interview; selection approval notification and contract offers --contact Tracy McLenithan
- Online search process, contact your HR Generalist
- Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center
- Center for Women & Gender Equity (CWGE)
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Division of Inclusion & Equity
- Multi-faith Calendar A great resource for planners.
- Director of Laboratory Operations, Aaron Perry, 2200h P. Douglas Kindschi Hall of Science
(616) 331-3969 firstname.lastname@example.org
- safety website
- Director of Laboratory Safety Jim Seufert 1-8628
- other contacts
- Language Resource Center
- Computer labs
- Speech Lab
Meetings, conducting productive
CLAS Personnel Calendar for 2022-2023 coming soon
Fall 2021 CLAS Personnel Calendar
August 30 All materials must be uploaded to candidate’s personnel Blackboard site by 5 p.m.
August 30 Unit head copies contents of candidate’s personnel Blackboard site to the unit personnel Blackboard site at 5 p.m.
September 30 Nominations for promotion as part of winter actions due.
October 13 Units submit promotion materials (promotion to Professor) to the Dean’s Office (for CPC review). Earlier submissions are welcome.
November 19 CLAS Personnel Committee submits recommendations to the Dean.
December 17 Dean notifies candidate and Unit Head of recommendation.
January 31 Provost makes decision and notifies appropriate people.
Winter 2022 CLAS Personnel Calendar
January 10 All materials must be uploaded to candidate’s personnel Blackboard site by 5 p.m.
January 10 Unit head copies contents of candidate’s personnel Blackboard site to the unit personnel Blackboard site at 5 p.m.
February 11 Units submit contract renewal materials to the Dean (CLAS Personnel Committee)
February 18 Units submit tenure and promotion materials to the Dean (CLAS Personnel Committee)
February 25 Units submit promotion only materials to the Dean (promotion to Associate Professor not associated with a tenure decision).
March 18 CLAS Personnel Committee submits recommendations to the Dean (third Friday in March).
April 15 Dean notifies candidate and Unit Head of recommendation.
June 1 Provost makes decision and notifies appropriate people.
- Human Resources Office
- Time off/leaves
- College and unit personnel criteria, see https://www.gvsu.edu/upr/
- Promotion & Tenure
- CLAS Standards & Criteria for Personnel Evaluation (on Provost's website; requires log in)
- CPC Guidelines for Unit Head and Colleagues
- Procedure for transmittal of materials to CPC (paper, electronic)
- CLAS Personnel Forms
- University Communications has professional photographers that may be available to be booked for your event. Individual portraits can be taken for a small fee.
Record Retention/information security
Regional Math & Science Center, 1-2267
Risk Reduction for Experiential Learning
Salary Adjustment/Evaluation Process
- All course changes outside of Rounds 1 and 2 should be submitted as Requests in Coursedog. Questions may be directed to Tracy McLenithan or George McBane as appropriate.
- Registrar's page on scheduling
- Department dibs room use policy: After Round 1 of scheduling each fall, schedules for all rooms that have dibs assigned to CLAS departments will be reviewed. All General Purpose and Lecture Hall rooms should be scheduled for at least 41 class hours (50 minutes each) each semester. Any department-dibs room not used a total of 81 class hours per week across fall and winter semesters, and no fewer than 36 hours/week in either semester, will be returned to the main CLAS pool the following year. The scheduled courses will not be removed, but the department will no longer have exclusive access to the room for the first round of scheduling.
The 41-hour expectation also applies to Dual Purpose or Computer classrooms with department dibs, though they are not subject to the dibs-withdrawal policy during scheduling for AY 22/23. They may become subject to the policy in future years.
Special Purpose rooms are not subject to this policy.
The scheduled usage for each Allendale room is available in the ‘open slot list’ file for each upcoming semester at < Room Capacity page on the ALL Room Usage tab. (Log in required)
Departments that expect not to be able to fill their dibs rooms to this standard are encouraged to contact the College to either (1) arrange to release one or more rooms in advance, or (2) arrange to share first-round priority with one or more other departments.
Staffing Plan Information
- deadlines--contact Tracy McLenithan
- Adjunct Salary Guidelines (password protected PDF)
- EAP Teaching Permission form
- limits of credit hours--see Admin Manual
Statistical Consulting Center, A-1-178 MAK, 1-3355
Strategic Planning Resources
- GVSU Assessment
- CLAS Strategic Plan and those of CLAS Units are on the university Strategic Plan webpage
- CLAS Strategic Plan
- Student Code
- Complaints and Grievances (Article IV)
- grade appeal (Appendix B of Code)
- Student Fellowship award opportunities www.gvsu.edu/fellowships
Student Graders policy
- In compliance with university policy, student employees who assist in the evaluation of student exams and assignments must be approved by the Dean of the unit in which they work.
- In CLAS, that approval must be requested here: https://www.gvsu.edu/clas/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=9D5FAFB5-B896-BDB1-AB9751B0AD6DF844 . The form can only be accessed by the unit head.
Training needed by new Unit Heads
- IT Training (general)
- Banner - Finance (Accounting Business Office, 331-2233)
- Banner - Permit overrides (Records)
- OnBase - (Accounting Business Office, 331-2233)
- Ultratime - PSS biweekly hours (Payroll)
- Ultratime - Quarterly vacation approval
- GV Assess
Travel & Expense
Unit Head resources
- Unit Head List Spring Summer 2022
- CLAS Unit Head Dashboard
- Effective Agendas for Effective Meetings (a page of tips)
- Banner (self-serve)
- IT Training &Workshops
- Admin Manual and other Handbooks are now the University Policies website
- GVSU Lab Safety Website
- Conflict Resolution website (HR)
Unit Head meeting schedule
February 2 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting
February 16 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting
March 2 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting
March 16 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting
March 30 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting
April 13 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting Cancelled
May 4 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. Zoom Meeting
Weekly Mailings and other archives