LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Resources Useful for New Faculty
Acronym and abbreviation decoder
Human Resources Forms
Lunch with Colleagues?
While we do not have a faculty club, we do have a Faculty/Staff Dining Room for a hot $7 buffet lunch. It operates on Mondays & Wednesdays 11:00 am - 2:00 p.m. on the lower level of the Kirkhof Center.
Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog
How to sign up for free on-campus training seminars
http://www.gvsu.edu/sprout/ From IT to exercise, it is all happening here.
Some of the training that is offered can help you to make everyone at GVSU feel welcome such as inclusion & equity training (see Sprout).
Blackboard for Faculty
Reserve a Book at the Library
GVSU's Copyright Policy
Support for your teaching
- CLAS Teaching Roundtables (Nov.)
- Information about Instructional Design for eLearning
- Sign Up for Training on Banner or Blackboard http://www.gvsu.edu/registrar/banner-training-resources-29.htm
- Faculty Teaching & Learning Center
- Learn more about collaborative teaching opportunities and the Teach Together initiative
- Office of Sponsored Programs (formerly Grants Administration))
- Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence
- Travel grant http://www.gvsu.edu/ftlc/faculty-conference-travel-grant-49.htm
- CSCE “Dissemination Travel Grant”: https://www.gvsu.edu/csce/dissemination-travel-grant-13.htm
Opportunities for collegiality and sharing your research
- CLAS Research Colloquium http://gvsu.edu/clas/clas-colloquia-83.htm
Faculty and Staff Affinity Groups. See https://www.gvsu.edu/inclusion/faculty-staff-affinity-groups-120.htm groups and links
- Also see departmental websites and the monthly CLAS Happenings posters around campus
GVSU Laker Store Book Orders
GVSU Surplus Store (online store, bricks and mortar store in Standale)
When is the final exam for my course? http://www.gvsu.edu/registrar/importantdates.htm
Stay current with campus news
- Sign up for automatic e-mail digests of the news on GVNext in the footer of the GVNext webpage
- CLAS Acts is the College's monthly tenure-track faculty e-newsletter that you will receive by e-mail on or about the first of each month. Archive: CLAS Acts
- The CLAS Teacher is a twice yearly publication for Affiliate, Visiting and Adjunct Faculty The CLAS Teacher newsletter
- The Lanthorn is our student newspaper available from stands around campus.
- Something changed--what's up with parking?
Diversity Resources offices (Women's Center, LGBT Resource Center, Multicultural...)
Campus Recreation http://www.gvsu.edu/rec/
Performing arts upcoming events
A page combining Music, Theatre, and Dance events: https://www.gvsu.edu/mtd/events-31.htm
Relocation resources (movers giving a GVSU discount, banks, etc.) http://www.gvsu.edu/hro/relocation-resources-chamber-of-commerce-32.htm
Pew Faculty Teaching & Learning Center
For teaching resources, workshops, grants, awards and more: http://www.gvsu.edu/ftlc/
Some Frequently Asked Questions
How do I connect to Barter Board?
The GVSU Barter Board offers Grand Valley's employees a vehicle through which they may buy and sell articles. The Barter Board, Notices, etc., are all available to everyone in their list of Outlook Folders. On your main Outlook page, click on the "Folder List" icon (located near the lower-left corner. Clicking on it expands the list of folders. Scroll down to the bottom and Expand Public Folders. Then Expand All Public Folders. That's where you'll see the Barter Board.
I heard something about Repair Clinic? We offer an opportunity once each semester for our students to have free repairs done by faculty and staff volunteers. Learn more about Repair Clinic.
It's the first Friday of the month at noon--what's that noise?
An emergency siren is tested the first Friday of each month, March through November. The test will consist of a one to three minute steady tone. This siren would be used in the event of an actual emergency such as a tornado.
I come from a place it never snows. How can I get ready for my first Michigan winter?
Glad you asked. We are set up for the conditions here, and there are resources you can use and local lore you can tap into. See our webpage New to Michigan Weather?
I Have Dietary Restrictions
In the spirit of inclusion, CLAS posts menus a couple days in advance for all its major events (see the CLAS website page devoted to that event). We do our best to note when a dish is vegan, gluten free, etc. and if a dish includes pork products, shellfish, dairy, etc. We strive for a variety that will enable you to enjoy our events.
I overdid it at the Rec Center. Can I get some help on campus?
Yes, check out the Injury Care Clinic: http://www.gvsu.edu/icc/
Are there resources for Faculty with kids?
Yes! Check out our webpage for Employees with Children
Now what do I do? I lost my:
- Way (Allendale Campus map or other campuses)
- Office door key http://www.gvsu.edu/facilitiesservices/allendale/damaged-lost-or-stolen-keys-45.htm
- Parking sticker (you must go to Public Safety --which is near Alumni House-- to fill in an affidavit form. This cannot be done online. An investigation is carried out and afterward a new parking permit is issued.)
- G-number Call HR on (616) 331-2215 or e-mail from http://gvsu.edu/hro/
- Perspective https://www.gvsu.edu/hro/benefitswellness/resources-for-work-and-life-481.htm
- Car http://www.gvsu.edu/publicsafety/
I'm on campus and not feeling well. What can I do? Campus Health Center: Diagnosis and treatment of acute minor illness, injury or accidents for students, faculty and staff. 10383 A 42nd Ave. • Allendale, MI 49401-9403 • Phone: 331-2435 • FAX: 331-2440 http://www.gvsu.edu/campushealth/