Resources Useful for New Faculty
Meet Our Newest Tenure Track Faculty
Acronym and abbreviation decoder
Human Resources Forms
Faculty responsibilities, see Faculty Handbook, Chapter 3 Faculty Role
Annual College of Liberal Arts & Science Events
There are lots of opportunities to meet your colleagues. Click here for a listing.
Lunch with Colleagues?
While we do not have a faculty club, we do have a Faculty/Staff Dining Room for a hot $7 buffet lunch. It operates on Mondays & Wednesdays 11:00 am - 2:00 pm on the lower level of the Kirkhof Center. A preview of the menu can be usually be found on Barter Board.
Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog
IT Resources for New Employees
How to sign up for free on-campus training seminars
http://www.gvsu.edu/sprout/ From IT to exercise, it is all happening here.
Some of the training that is offered can help you to make everyone at GVSU feel welcome such as inclusion & equity training (see Sprout)..
Faculty may also be interested in faculty affinity groups such as
- Latin@ Affinity Group
- LGBT Faculty Staff Association
- International Faculty & Friends
Blackboard for Faculty
Reserve a Book at the Library
GVSU's Copyright Policy
Support for your teaching
CLAS Teaching Roundtables (Nov.)
Information about Instructional Design for eLearning
Sign Up for Training on Banner or Blackboard
Faculty Teaching & Learning Center
- Office of Sponsored Programs (formerly Grants Administration))
- Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence
- Examples of grants awarded to GVSU faculty --request a copy of Laker Effects from the Office of Sponsored Programs
- Travel grant http://www.gvsu.edu/ftlc/faculty-conference-travel-grant-49.htm
Opportunities for collegiality and sharing your research
- CLAS Research Colloquium http://gvsu.edu/clas/clas-colloquia-83.htm
- Also see departmental websites and the monthly CLAS Happenings posters around campus
Laker Store University Bookstore Book Orders
When is the final exam for my course? http://www.gvsu.edu/registrar/importantdates.htm
Stay current with campus news
- Sign up for automatic e-mail digests of the news on GVNow
- CLAS Acts is the College's monthly tenure-track faculty e-newsletter that you will receive by e-mail on or about the first of each month. Archive: CLAS Acts
- The CLAS Teacher is a twice yearly publication for Affiliate, Visiting and Adjunct Faculty The CLAS Teacher newsletter
- The Forum, a newsletter for all faculty and staff, is delivered weekly
- The Lanthorn is our student newspaper available from stands around campus (Monday and Thursday editions). Online: http://www.lanthorn.com/
- Something changed--what's up with parking? http://www.gvsu.edu/parking/
Work Life Connections www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness
Diversity Resources offices (Women's Center, LGBT Resource Center, Multicultural...)
GVSU Children's Enrichment Center http://www.gvsu.edu/child/index.cfm?id=452AD0C4-CE16-6B26-B5388A4B1311210C
LipDub? What's this LipDub people are mentioning? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5L3gsCHgQ
Location of the on-campus nursing nests: http://www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness/rooms-for-nursing-mothers-172.htm
Campus Recreation http://www.gvsu.edu/rec/
Performing arts upcoming events GVSU Arts Calendar
Relocation resources (movers giving a GVSU discount, banks, etc.) http://www.gvsu.edu/hro/relocation-resources-chamber-of-commerce-32.htm
Pew Faculty Teaching & Learning Center
For teaching resources, workshops, grants, awards and more: http://www.gvsu.edu/ftlc/
Some Frequently Asked Questions
How do I connect to Barter Board?
The GVSU Barter Board offers Grand Valley's employees a vehicle through which they may buy and sell articles. The Barter Board, Notices, etc., are all available to everyone in their list of Outlook Folders. On your main Outlook page, click on the "Folder List" icon (located near the lower-left corner. Clicking on it expands the list of folders. Scroll down to the bottom and Expand Public Folders. Then Expand All Public Folders. That's where you'll see the Barter Board.
It's the first Friday of the month at noon--what's that noise?
An emergency siren is tested the first Friday of each month, March through November. The test will consist of a one to three minute steady tone. This siren would be used in the event of an actual emergency such as a tornado.
I Have Dietary Restrictions
In the spirit of inclusion, CLAS posts menus a couple days in advance for all its major events (see the CLAS website page devoted to that event). We do our best to note when a dish is vegan, gluten free, etc. and if a dish includes pork products, shellfish, dairy, etc. We strive for a variety that will enable you to enjoy our events.
I overdid it at the Rec Center. Can I get some help on campus?
Yes, check out the Injury Care Clinic: http://www.gvsu.edu/icc/
Are there resources for Faculty with kids? Yes! /cms4/asset/4E8175C3-93C6-F094-42B2D3F5513AEA1F/resources4facultystaffwhoareparents_3.doc
Now what do I do? I lost my:
- Way (Allendale Campus map or other campuses)
- Office door key http://www.gvsu.edu/facilitiesservices/damaged-lost-or-stolen-keys-45.htm
- Parking sticker (you must go to Public Safety --which is near Alumni House-- to fill in an affidavit form. This cannot be done online. An investigation is carried out and afterward a new parking permit is issued.)
- G number Call HR on (616) 331-2215 or e-mail from http://gvsu.edu/hro/
- Perspective http://www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness/work-life-26.htm
- Car http://www.gvsu.edu/publicsafety/
I'm on campus and not feeling well. What can I do? Campus Health Center: Diagnosis and treatment of acute minor illness, injury or accidents for students, faculty and staff. 10383 A 42nd Ave. • Allendale, MI 49401-9403 • Phone: 331-2435 • FAX: 331-2440 http://www.gvsu.edu/campushealth/