Supporting Students: Quicklinks for Faculty and Staff

Conduct or Conflict


Student ombuds    

Employee Ombuds  

Appeals, Grievances

Student Grievance procedures

Academic Support

Division of Student Affairs Student resources  

Disability Support Resources (DSR)

 Disability Support Resources (616) 331-2490


Tutoring  and Reading Center

Mathematics Tutoring

Chemistry Success Center

Physics Help Corner

Statistics Tutoring

Knowledge Market

Language Resource Center: The Language Resource Center, aka the “Language Lab”, is a modern learning center with media and resources that will guide students through the beginning semesters of  foreign language studies and beyond. Located in Mackinac Hall (D wing), room D-2-221, the LRC is close to most language classes and professor offices.  Phone (616) 331-2507.

Academic Referrals, Navigate

All Academic referrals should be placed in the Navigate Advising System and not through the CARE referral form.

Academic Referrals include: 


 Student not responding to Faculty outreach. 

 Poor academic performance 

 Missing crucial academic milestones (for example: not performing well on first exam or midterm exam). 

Poor time management/organizational skills

Academic Procrastination and Motivation

 Student would benefit from Success Coaching

Metacognitive skills

Psychology has a webpage on metacognitive skills for student and faculty audiences.

Special Population or Identity Support


Peter F. Secchia Military And Veterans Resource Center 

Veterans Services - Registrar 

There are resources available for veterans who would like to complete their degree at Grand Valley State University. Staff can assist with the following:

International Students

Padnos International Center 

  • The International Student Services (ISS) Team is at your service! Email


Office of Multicultural Affairs

Office of Multicultural Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) is committed to building a diverse and inclusive campus. Through its comprehensive programs and services, OMA fosters an appreciation and respect for the history, tradition, and culture of different ethnic groups, and empowers students to be active learners.

Asian American & Pacific Islander Student Engagement & Resources

Black/African American Student Engagement & Resources

Latino/a/x Student Engagement & Resources

Native American Student Engagement & Resources

Gayle R. Davis Center for Women and Gender Equity

Fostering Laker Success   Fostering Laker Success strives to recruit and retain students who have experienced foster care and other out-of-home placements by providing access to resources that encourage successful inclusion within and graduation from the GVSU community.

Pregnant or Parenting College Students

Replenish: A food resource for students

Autism Resources

START Project (Autism Center)

 Grand Valley’s Campus Links program, which matches ASD students with a peer mentor to help them transition to college

Financial, Money Matters

Financial, Money Matters

Financial Aid

MoneySmart Lakers (understand your personal finances)


Late Withdrawal and Tuition Refund appeals

Late Withdrawal

Tuition Refund Appeal Process (TRAC) 

Reducing Expenses

TI-84 graphing calculators to check out

Textbooks at the library

Health and Well-being

CARE Reports


Student Well-being

CARE referrals can be submitted for health and safety, family issues, or life situations.  This can include, but is not limited to:

  • Mental Health Concerns
  • Death of Family Member/Close Friend
  • Extreme Changes in Behavior
  • Hallucinations
  • Distressed Behavior
  • Disruptive Behavior
  • Mood swings or changes in mood
  • Out-of-the-ordinary e-mails sent from the student
  • Change in diet or eating habits
  • Change in appearance or hygiene
  • Social/Adjustment Concerns

Resource Concerns

CARE referrals can be submitted for student concerns that are related to resource needs.  This can include, but is not limited to:

  • Food Insecurity
  • Financial Hardship
  • Housing Concerns 
    • Living out of car
    • Couch surfing 
    • About to be evicted
    • Unstable housing
    • Homeless
  • Lack of academic resources or supplies
  • In need of technology support (can't afford laptop repair, or in need of temporary laptop replacement)
  • In need of menstrual health products
  • In need of health insurance 

Mental Health

Utilize the faculty mental health app to get guidance on what to do in situations that arise with student mental health in the classroom. 

 Responding to Distressed People guide  and a video walk through

University Counseling Center  

Pine Rest enhanced psychiatric urgent care 

Food Insecurity

Replenish Food Pantry



GVSU Housing



Animals Permitted on Property Owned or Controlled by the University 

Emotional assistance animals (Councselling Center)


GVSU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities and fulfilling obligations under State and Federal laws. GVSU shall not allow an animal that poses a threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation; would cause substantial physical damage to the property of others that cannot be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation; poses an undue financial and administrative burden; or would fundamentally alter the nature of housing operations. Assistance animals must be approved by Disability Support Resources (DSR) and the owner must possess a memorandum “memo” for approval verification. All animals approved via DSR will be required to have a badge to be worn on the collar, or must be available upon demand.  Please view the full DSR Guidelines for Assistance Animals.


Service Animals are permitted within all University facilities subject to the additional requirements of this policy. Individuals who wish to bring a service animal into a University housing facility may do so without prior approval.  However, students are strongly encouraged to register with Disability Support Resources (DSR) to ensure that their experience bringing the animal to campus is a positive one. Advanced notice of a service animal in housing facilities will enable the University to appropriately plan for the animals’ presence and will allow more flexibility in meeting the student’s needs. Service animals are permitted to accompany the resident to all areas of housing where residents are normally permitted to go. Please note that service animals are required to be at least 12 months of age unless an exception to this requirement has been approved by DSR. Please review the full GVSU animal policy and Guidelines for Assistance Animals.


Safewalk Program  Safewalk is a free service in which Department of Public Safety employees will accompany students, staff, and visitors who feel unsafe walking alone, across campus. 

Prescription Drop Off Box

Warnings and Alerts


Repair Clinic

Repair Clinic is usually held in mid-October and mid-February, 6-8 p.m. in Holton Hooker.  Some repairs can be made at other times (contact [email protected]).

Twice an academic year, faculty and staff volunteers gather for a two-hour session to fix students' rips and missing buttons, jammed zippers, broken glasses, backpack straps and much more.  This service is absolutely free to any GVSU student.  At each clinic, we try to repair as much as we can for as many as we can. 



Page last modified March 31, 2023