For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email email@example.com. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
The Health Informatics and Bioinformatics program utilizes computer science technology to manage and analyze information in the life and health sciences. Grand Valley State University’s Master of Science degree in Health Informatics and Bioinformatics is designed to integrate university coursework with business and industrial internships to better prepare students for the variety of career paths associated with the life science and health science industries.
The Health Informatics and Bioinformatics M.S. program is part of Grand Rapids’ only Professional Science Master’s (PSM) degree program.
CAREER OUTLOOK AND OPPORTUNITIES
The national average salary for a Clinical Systems Analyst at all industries, across all levels of experience, is $75,687 in United States, according to Glassdoor.com (Dec 2017). The national average salary for a Bioinformatics Analyst at all industries, across all levels of experience, is $75,586 in United States, according to Glassdoor.com (Dec 2017). According to the World and U.S News report, most graduates with a master’s degree in health informatics will be more likely to have a career waiting for them when they leave school than people from other backgrounds. GVSU health informatics and bioinformatics graduates hold the following job titles:
- Bioinformatics analyst III
- Bioinformatics scientist
- Clinical Systems analyst
- Senior Business informatics analyst
- SAS programming consultant
- Graduate researcher, manager of analytics
- Web and mobile development supervisor
- Clinical SAS analyst/programmer
- QA data integration lead
- Health informatics specialist
- Project manager
- SQL developer
- Research professional
- Technical consultant
- AX support analyst
- Informatics and computing manager
- Quality analyst: database programming and informatics
- Programmer analyst
Why Study Health Informatics and Bioinformatics at GVSU?
- Innovative. An innovative program designed to integrate university coursework in the computer sciences with business and health industry internships to educate informatics professionals for the future.
- Faculty Research Opportunities. Collaboration with faculty members on ongoing research.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities. Access to a high-performance computing laboratory for health informatics and bioinformatics needs.
- First-rate Faculty. Qualified faculty members with a wide breadth of experience in industry and research.
The Health Informatics and Bioinformatics M.S. P.S.M program is a minimum of 36 credits. The three PSM degree programs are interdisciplinary and feature common core courses. The health informatics and bioinformatics program features:
- Directed courses in health informatics and bioinformatics
- An internship
- A culminating capstone experience
Visit the online catalog for course offerings and degree requirements for this program.
The M.S. in Health Informatics and Bioinformatics P.S.M. application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, November 1 for the Winter semester, and April 1 for the Spring/Summer semester. The $30 application fee is waived if you’ve already applied to Grand Valley. Visit the online catalog to view the admission requirements for this program.
For more information on tuition and fees, please visit the costs portion of the GVSU Financial Aid website. For financial support, scholarship search, and filing for FAFSA, please visit the GVSU Financial Support website.
Note: Grand Valley does not charge a higher tuition rate based on residency. Tuition is based on the program in which you chose to enroll.
AMIA Academic Forum
GVSU's Health Informatics and Bioinformatics Program is a member of AMIA's Academic Forum. Learn more about the Academic Forum.
Professional Science Master's
Learn more about the Professional Science Master's.