The English M.A. Program
The Master of Arts (M.A.) in English offers students and professionals an opportunity to deepen literary knowledge, sharpen critical skills, and strengthen expository writing by studying a diverse range of literature in English.
WHY STUDY ENGLISH AT GRAND VALLEY?
- Challenging. The program meets the needs of those who wish to pursue a Ph.D. in literature. Students are urged to contribute to the discipline by doing original research, applying for grants, and presenting at academic conferences.
- Engaging. Seminar format classes of no more than fifteen students assure a highly personal learning experience with opportunities for valuable feedback from exceptional faculty.
- Versatile. Designed with part-time students in mind, the program allows flexible scheduling, which makes it ideal for working professionals and teachers who want to strengthen their content expertise.
The M.A. in English at Grand Valley State University offers:
- Two degree tracks
- 33 hours of coursework followed by qualifying examinations or 27 hours of coursework followed by a 6-credit-hour thesis project
- Evening classes (6-8 p.m.)
SUMMER COURSES AVAILABLE
Are you interested in American short stories or graphic novels and want to attend GVSU in the Summer? Check out our Spring/Summer courses 2018.
The English M.A program has a rolling admissions process, so applications will be reviewed as received. However, to be guaranteed consideration for a specific semester, applications must be received by the following dates:
- No later than March 15th for Spring/Summer Semester
- No later than July 15th for Fall Semester
- No later than November 15th for Winter Semester
For more information on tuition and fees, please visit the costs portion of the GVSU Financial Aid website. For financial support, scholarship search, and filing for FAFSA, please visit the GVSU Financial Support website.
Note: Grand Valley does not charge a higher tuition rate based on residency. Tuition is based on the program in which you chose to enroll.
FIND US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Learn more about the M.A. English program and get to know the English grad students by visiting our social media pages.