College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Late Add Request Instructions 2021-2022
The first week of each semester is the published Drop/Add period. During this time, students may drop and/or add classes at their discretion, provided there are openings in the courses and the student has met the appropriate prerequisite requirements. If a student wishes to add a course after this published deadline, it is considered an exception to the registration policies and requires several levels of support and documentation.
Please note: ANY addition to a student schedule after the published deadline is considered a late add, including requests to change from one section to another of the same course.
Please complete all of the following steps listed below in sequential order:
- Obtain proper paperwork to complete the late add process.
- Download the PDF “Registration and Drop/Add Form”, found online on the Registrar’s website.
- Fill out the form completely with all required information. SAVE THE FORM.
- Provide a brief statement explaining the need for the late add [see below for recommended content]. SAVE THE STATEMENT.
- Obtain the appropriate electronic signatures via email as follows:
- Instructor – send an email with the PDF form and your statement attached to the professor of the course/section you wish to add.
- Unit Head – if the professor supports the late add, the form will be signed and forwarded electronically, along with your statement, to the unit head for consideration.
- Assistant Dean for Student Academic Services and Advising – if both the professor and unit head support the late add, the signed form and your statement will be forwarded to the assistant dean for consideration.
- If the assistant dean supports the late add, the form will be signed and forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for processing. The course will be added to your record and you are then responsible for any additional tuition and fees assessed due to the late add.
- Items to note:
- Nearly all late registrations involve additional fees. You will be assessed $25 for adding a class late. You will be assessed a $50 late registration fee if you are registering for all classes past the posted deadline. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (616) 331-2209 to make arrangements for payment. Failure to do so could result in withdrawal from the courses.
- If the professor and/or unit head denies the late add, the process ends there.
- If you are attempting to register for a course for the third time, you will need to request approval from the unit head for the course via the Repeat Limit Approval Form.
- If your grade point is below 2.00 and this is your initial registration, you will need to obtain registration approval from your assigned faculty advisor or a professional advisor in the CLAS Academic Advising Center.
Late Add Appeal Statements
Consider the following points when submitting your late add appeal:
- Provide information on WHY you need to add the course after the published deadline.
- Steps you will take to ensure that the need for this type of an exception won’t be necessary in the future.
- If applicable, supply copies of any supporting documentation that substantiates your appeal.
- Describe your plan to make up any missed work.