Welcome to the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center
First-year Queer Alliance (FQA) supports LGBTQIA+ and allied students by helping them build community, engage in shared learning on social justice topics, and develop strategies for a successful first year.
FQA students will…
- Be able to successfully navigate GVSU’s campus and resources
- Develop and build interpersonal skills
- Gain awareness of the complexity of identity
- Understand how to use an intersectional lens
- Develop a sense of belonging to the LGBT Resource Center and GVSU
FQA meets Wednesdays at 8pm in the LGBT Resource Center, 1161 Kirkhof.
Loud & Queer (L&Q) supports LGBTQIA+ and allied students in the first year and beyond to build a strong and supportive community; expand their knowledge of power, privilege, and oppression; and deepen their connections to the LGBT Resource Center and GVSU.
L&Q Participants will…
- Develop skills for academic success and personal growth
- Build better interpersonal and communication skills
- Be able to reflect on their own identities and how those identities shape their experiences
- Develop a deeper knowledge of how to use an intersectional lens when analyzing topics related to power, privilege, and oppression
- Develop a greater sense of belonging to the LGBT Resource Center and GVSU
L&Q meets Wednesdays at 9pm in the LGBT Resource Center.
T2: Trans & Non-binary Student Group
This weekly group is a place for Trans and Non-binary students, as well as anyone who is questioning or exploring their gender, to safely and freely express themselves.
Meetings include discussions, games, educational sessions and community building.
T2 meets on Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the LGBT Resource Center.
Ace of Clubs: Asexual & Aromantic Student Group
This is a group for all GVSU students who identify on the asexual or aromantic spectrums.
Meetings include discussion, activities, and an overall supporting community.
Ace of Clubs meets on the 1st & 3rd Tuesdays of each month at 9:00 p.m. in the LGBT Resource Center.
The Queer & Trans Study Collective (QTSC)
Open to all students, faculty, and staff who are interested in exploring topics and texts related to queer and trans theory. QTSC reading selections will be co-determined by participants and may include texts drawn from social sciences, literature, fine arts, philosophy, cinema and media studies, popular culture, anthropology, gender and sexuality studies, history, cultural studies, and others. Prior exposure to queer and trans theory is helpful but not required.
QTSC meets on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. in the LGBT Resource Center.
From the website:
"GVSU features the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center. The Center is staffed by a full-time director, assistant director and program coordinator. Added to the staff are a graduate assistant, 6 student aids, and a 23-member advisory council. With a vision that includes a strong focus on social justice the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center leaders believe that 'the current economic system does not serve the interests of the majority of people and that economic justice must be part of all our social justice work for the future'".