Virus Action Team Update (Nov. 23)
Updated November 23
Here are some important dates to remember and tips to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 or spreading the virus to family and friends.
- The GVSU Surveillance Testing Program will not be open the week of November 23. Surveillance testing, which is for those who do NOT have symptoms or exposure, will resume the week of November 30.
- Email invitations to test through the GVSU Surveillance Testing Program will be sent November 24 to those we believe will be returning to campus after Thanksgiving.
- The GVSU/Spectrum Health symptomatic testing site at the Commons on the Allendale Campus will remain open the week of November 23 by appointment. Schedule through MyChart or call (833) 734-0020. After you have scheduled an appointment, Spectrum will give you information to pre-register and the number to call once you arrive for your appointment.
- If you are currently in quarantine or isolation and returning home, you must continue to quarantine or isolate until you are released by the health department or GVSU. Discuss details with family members to avoid putting them at risk.
- Continue to fill out your online self-assessment daily.
STAY SAFE while at home: (See CDC guidelines on holiday gatherings)
- Wear face coverings at all times when around anyone you haven’t been living with, even family members.
- Where possible, stay 6 feet apart from everyone, including family, particularly if anyone must remove their face covering (such as during meals).
- Where possible, avoid physical contact with others (for example, avoid hugging elderly relatives or others in high-risk groups).
- Do not attend gatherings outside the home (for example, do not meet up with high school friends in town).
- Monitor for symptoms twice a day.
- Consider getting a flu shot.
Questions and concerns
The GVSU COVID call center (616) 331-4636 remains in operation weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Personal health concerns should be directed to the GVSU/Spectrum Health 24-hour call center (833) 734-0020.
Creating a safer environment is a shared responsibility among all who come to GVSU and its off-campus partners. The university is encouraging personal responsibility by providing education, supplies, and resources to assist individuals in following public health guidance and university policy. As part of our work toward a safe environment, a web-based self-assessment (accessed by phone, tablet or computer) is available for faculty, staff and students.
- Employees must complete a self-assessment on any day they are working on campus.
- Students coming to campus for class or work must complete a self-assessment before coming to campus.
- While not required, it is expected that all members of the GVSU community will complete the self-assessment daily to support efforts to protect the health of the community. It is strongly suggested that the self-assessment be completed before noon.
The daily self-assessment is simple and quick to complete. The self-assessment is the primary means for us to collect daily information – including weekends – about how the virus is affecting the GVSU community, minimize its spread, promote public health and make sound decisions.
Learn how to create an easy-to-use bookmark for the self-assessment on your smartphone.
November 19, 2020
The Virus Action Team shared testing dates and ways to avoid spreading COVID to family and friends.