Registering with Disability Support Resources

Registration Process:

Disability Support Resources (DSR) provides assistance to students, faculty and staff who have disabilities. Registration with DSR has four main components:

1) Completing the DSR profile application,

2) Submitting appropriate medical or psychological assessment documentation.

3) Engaging in the interactive process by scheduling an appointment to discuss your accommodation needs with a DSR advisor. Registration with DSR prior to situations requiring accommodations is essential.

4) Sharing the appropriate accommodation memo/letter with other university personnel as appropriate.

If you need assistance with obtaining sufficient documentation, please review the relevant guidelines for documentation along with verification forms. These forms can be downloaded from our website or picked up from our office. Completed paperwork can be faxed to 616.331.3880, emailed to, or brought to our office at 215 The Blue Connection on the Allendale Campus.

Documentation for a Disability

Documentation of a disability must appear on official letterhead from a licensed physician, psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional with their License/Certification number & State of Licensure and include::

  1. A specific statement of the diagnosis (diagnoses)
  2. A summary of related functional limitations
  3. Recommendations for accommodations

Documentation requirements for specific disabilities are:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): You will need your testing/report that was generated regarding your impairment/diagnosis; ideally we would like a psychological assessment and/or a neuropsychological test that was completed within the last 5 years (using adult testing measures only). If you do not have a psychological evaluation, your treatment provider will need to complete a Documentation Form for ADHD.

Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): A Documentation Form for Autism Spectrum Disorder must be completed.

Brain Injury: You can provide your psychological evaluation if it is within the last five years. Otherwise, you can have your qualified provider complete a Documentation Form for Brain Injury.

Chronic Health Condition: A Documentation Form for Chronic Health Condition must be completed. 

Deaf or Hard of Hearing: A  Documentation Form for Hearing Impairment must be completed. 

Learning Disability (LD): A Documentation Form for Learning Disability must be completed.  See the Guidelines for Learning Disability Criteria.

Mental Health Condition: For anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or other mental health-related condition, you need to have a certified professional fill out a Documentation Form for Mental Health Condition.

Mobility Impairments (Temporary or Permanent): A Documentation Form for Mobility Impairment must be completed.

Visual Impairments: A Documentation Form for Visual Impairment must be completed.

Service and Assistance animals: Disability Support Resources may require documentation regarding your service/emotional support animal to ensure that it falls under the protection of federal and state laws. Most individuals who have the benefit of using a service animal will not be required to submit documentation unless the student/employee is going to live in university housing.

Assistance animals or Emotional Support Animals (ESA) are considered part of a therapeutic intervention; therefore, documentation should support that your condition rises to the level of a disability, that is, that it limits one or more major life activities (according to the Fair Housing Authority), and clearly states how the assistance animal will alleviate the symptoms of the disability. Please see the Guidelines for Assistance Animals.

For any disability not listed above please contact the DSR Office at 616-331-2490.

Page last modified January 31, 2020