Registering with Disability Support Resources
Disability Support Resources (DSR) provides assistance to students, faculty, and staff who have disabilities.
Registration with DSR has four main components:
- Completing the DSR profile application
- Submitting appropriate medical or psychological assessment documentation.
- Engaging in the interactive process by scheduling an appointment to discuss your accommodation needs with a DSR advisor. Registration with DSR prior to situations requiring accommodations is essential.
- Sharing the appropriate accommodation memo/letter with other university personnel as appropriate.
Application for DSR Services
Documentation of Disability
Documentation of a disability must be current, and written within the last 5 years. The documentation forms (below) are recommended.
Written documentation is also accepted, and must appear on official letterhead from a licensed physician, psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional with their License/Certification number, the State of Licensure, and include::
- A specific statement of the diagnosis or diagnoses
- A summary of related functional limitations
- Recommendations for accommodations
If you need assistance with obtaining sufficient documentation, please review any relevant guidelines for documentation along with verification forms. These forms can be downloaded from our website. Completed paperwork can be faxed to (616) 331-3880, emailed to email@example.com, or brought to our office at 215 The Blue Connection on the Allendale Campus.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD): Ideally we would like a psychological assessment or a neuropsychological test that was completed within the last 5 years using adult testing measures only) If these are not available, submit a Documentation Form for ADHD.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Submit a Documentation Form for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Brain Injury: Submit a Documentation Form for Brain Injury. Alternatively, you can provide a psychological evaluation.
- Chronic Health Condition: Submit a Documentation Form for Chronic Health Condition.
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing: Submit a Documentation Form for Hearing Impairment.
- Learning Disability (LD): Submit a Documentation Form for Learning Disability. See the Guidelines for Learning Disability Documentation.
- Mental Health Condition: (anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or other mental health-related condition) Submit a Documentation Form for Mental Health Condition.
- Mobility Impairments (temporary or permanent): Submit a Documentation Form for Mobility Impairment.
- Visual Impairments: Submit a Documentation Form for Visual Impairment.
- Service and Assistance animals: Disability Support Resources can require documentation regarding your service or emotional support animal to ensure that it falls under the protection of federal and state laws.
- Most individuals who have the benefit of using a service animal will not be required to submit documentation, unless the student/employee is going to live in university housing.
- Assistance Animals/Emotional Support Animals (ESA) are considered part of a therapeutic intervention, and do require documentation. Documentation for an Assistance Animal/Emotional Support Animal must support that your condition rises to the level of disability (that it limits one or more major life activities), and clearly state how the assistance animal will alleviate the symptoms of the disability. For details, please see Assistance Animal Guidelines
- For any disability not listed above please contact the DSR Office at (616) 331-2490.