Reporting COVID Concerns/Positive COVID Test Results

Faculty/Staff: If a student tells you that they are experiencing symptoms of COVID, or have tested positive for COVID, encourage the student to fill out their daily Self-Assessment Form or by calling the GVSU COVID-19 hotline at (833) 734-0020. You do NOT need to fill out a CARE report.

Students: If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID, or have tested positive for COVID, please report this through the daily Self-Assessment Form or by calling the GVSU COVID-19 hotline at (833) 734-0020.

Lakers Together Call Center: Faculty, Staff, Students, Parents and Supporters are all welcome to call the Lakers Together Call Center to help answer questions regarding testing, isolation and quarantine, student support and any other COVID-related questions. COVID-19 data is now also available on a public dashboard that will help inform decisions made by senior university leadership. Lakers Together Call Center: 616-331-INFO (4636).

Metro Health Weekend Care is available for students to schedule a face to face or virtual visit on Saturdays between the hours of 9 AM-1PM.

         Metro Health Southwest  2215 44th ST SW, Wyoming, MI 49519 Ph. 616.252.8336  Schedule a virtual visit.

         Metro Health Caledonia  8941 North Rodgers Court, Caledonia, MI 49316 Ph. 616.252.5311 Schedule a virtual visit

Grand Valley State University CARE

Aerial campus view of the GVSU Allendale Campus with the clocktower


While attending GVSU, students may experience a variety of concerns, including but not limited to: academic, financial, basic needs, physical and mental health, campus climate concerns, off campus housing, concerns for well-being, and disruptive/disturbing behavior. 

The CARE Team (Coordination, Assistance, Response, and Education) is a team of staff who support all students through challenges they may experience during their time at GVSU. Please complete a CARE Referral if you are a student in need of support, know a student who needs support, or are generally concerned about a student.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Emily First, Student Support Manager, at 616-331-3585 or


When Should I Make A Care Referral?

Student Well-being

Referrals can be submitted for health and safety, family issues, or life situations that rise to a level of concern.

This can include, but is not limited to:

  • Mental health concerns
  • Suicide ideation
  • Family or close friend deaths
  • Extreme changes in behavior
  • Hallucinations
  • Threatening behavior
  • Disruptive behavior outside of the classroom
  • Mood swings or changes in mood
  • Out-of-the-ordinary emails sent from the student
  • Change in diet or eating habits
  • Change in appearance or hygiene

Resource Concerns

Referrals can be submitted for student concerns that are related to resource needs.

This can include, but is not limited to:

  • Lack of housing
  • Lack of food, water, etc. (sustenance needs)
  • Lack of financial support
  • Lack of academic resources or supplies (can not afford books, pens, paper, pencils, binders, etc.


Academic Concerns - NEW ***

Referrals can be submitted for undergraduate student concerns, related to academic progress, by visiting the  Navigate Advising System.

This can include, but is not limited to

  • Poor academic performance 
  • Missing crucial academic milestones (for example: not performing well on first exam or midterm exam). 
  • Poor time management/organizational skills
  • Academic Procrastination and Motivation
  • Missing class (after the faculty member has reached out several times and has been unable to connect with the student)