The Robert and Mary Pew Faculty Teaching and Learning Center serves as a catalyst for promoting a culture of teaching excellence at Grand Valley State University. Rooted in a liberal education tradition and informed by the scholarship of teaching and learning, we advocate innovative teaching and student-centered pedagogies. We partner with faculty as they prepare students to contribute meaningfully to their professions and societies.
Faculty Badges @GVSU
Visit the Pew FTLC Badges webpage to see if you're eligible for a Digital Badge.
Inclusive Teaching Tips and Strategies
Inclusive teaching involves a deliberate effort by faculty to create a learning environment that attends to and supports the needs of students with a variety of backgrounds, learning interests, and abilities. Inclusive pedagogical strategies shape the dynamics in teaching-learning spaces, affect an individual's experiences in those spaces, and influence course and curriculum design. Inclusive teaching attends the range of identities in the classroom and helps all students feel equally valued.
As you think ahead to next semester, here are a few questions to consider:
- Does your syllabus portray an inclusive and welcoming learning environment?
- Do you have a plan for getting to know students and fostering student-student interaction?
- Do your instructional strategies include basic Universal Design for Learning (UDL) concepts?
- Do you have a plan for disseminating content in multiple ways such as printed text, images, audio and video vs just lecturing from slides?
- Will you provide students with multiple ways to express their comprehension and mastery of topics vs just assigning lengthy exams and papers?
- How do you plan to tap into students' interests, challenge them appropriately, and motivate them to learn?
If you would like to be more inclusive in your teaching, here are a few useful resources to help you get started:
Foundations of Online/Hybrid Course Development and Delivery (HYBRID version; all sessions required)
September 23, 2019 All Day
October 3, 2019 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Twitter feed for @GVSU_PewFTLC
Promoting a scholarly approach to teaching and learning, supporting reflection on professional practice, encouraging growth at all career stages, and rewarding innovation in teaching.