Navigating Health & Wellness
Learn how to optimize your wellness & minimize stress levels
Wellness is the active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life, and is a critical aspect of your overall wellbeing as students. There are SO many things that influence your health!
The topics below will help you to:
- Learn how to be AWARE of your wellness
- Provide you with strategies to OPTIMIZE your wellness
- Equip you with resources to MANAGE and overcome difficulties
8 Dimensions of Wellness
The 8 Dimensions of Wellness is a model that will help you understand how different forms of wellness play a role in your everyday health. Watch the video below to learn more!
Wellness Resources for each dimension
How do I optimize my Wellness?
Get your body moving! Physical activity has SO many benefits, spanning your physical health, attention, mood, and even your academic performance! The best part is that there are options to incorporate movement into your daily schedule that matches your interests.
For existing medical conditions...what’s your plan at GVSU to get the care you need?
What do I do if I am sick or have an unanticipated emergency (i.e. chipped tooth, broken bone)...where can I go?
What planning should I do?
- Email your professors ASAP! Given the situation, you may not need to offer full disclosure. Inquire if there are opportunities to make up missed work (office hours are great to help get caught up).
- Identify Dr. offices/clinics ahead of time. Better to be prepared and not wondering and panicking about what to do when a situation arises!
How can I practice safety on campus? What resources are available to me?
Laker Guardian is a service to have the Department of Public Safety check in on you when walking to/from class or car.
Safewalk is a program where the Department of Public Safety will accompany you when walking across campus. There are also emergency phones placed throughout campus. They have a blue light to easily identify them.