Occupational Wellness is your involvement in activities like volunteering, employment, or career preparation. It also includes your balance between these things and the time you have for things you enjoy like friends, exercising, or whatever you do to relax.
Be Occupationally Well
7 Characteristics of Occupational Well People
- Doing work that you find motivating and interesting.
- Understanding how to balance leisure with work.
- Working in a way that fits into your personal learning style.
- Communicating and collaborating with others.
- Working independently and with others.
- Feeling inspired and challenged.
- Feeling good at the end of the day about the work you accomplished.
Improving Occupational Wellness
- Choose a major that you find interesting and meaningful.
- Take advantage of internships, study abroad, and volunteer work opportunities.
- Find a balance between work and relaxation.
Work Life Balance
When everything is a priority, your wellness is at risk. Be sure to practice balance in your school work, job work, and life (work).
Explore Career and Major Options
Whether you know your major or future career aspirations, or if you’re undecided, it’s important to explore your options. GVSU has so much to offer and the world is full of career options. Let the Career Center help you discover the possibilities.
Visit the Academic Advising webpage.
- Find and meet with an advisor.
- Learn about majors, minors, and possible courses.
- Make post-graduation plans.
Visit the Career Center
- Explore possible majors and careers.
- Work on your interviewing and networking skills.
- Improve your resume and cover letter.
Check out the Community Service Learning Center
- Find ways to engage with others while giving back to the community and volunteering.
- Participate in events, such as Make a Difference Day, to serve local nonprofit organizations.
- Become active, conscientious citizens to help make the world a better place.
Check out Student Life
- Get involved with student organizations, which looks good on resumes.
- Meet new people to network with in the future.
- Develop skills and find leadership roles.
Attend the Grand Rapids Job Fair
- Bring copies of your resume and be prepared for possible interviews.
- Check out current job opportunities in the area and explore other career options.
- Learn more about employers who are currently hiring.
Connect with others through Networking
- Discover many networking opportunities in the area.
- Expand your professional connections with others to advance your career.
- Meet others from the same field and exchange ideas.
Download the app or browse online with Handshake
- Search for internships, part-time jobs, or full-time jobs.
- Find upcoming career fairs.
- Expand your professional network and connect with GVSU alumni.
Connect with employers on LinkedIn
- Find careers and internships in your field.
- Network to find potential future employers.
- Learn new skills in a variety of subjects, such as career development, leadership, or business.