of Effective College Teaching
Magna Self-Paced Course
Virtual, self-paced, 10-hour course
Award Amount: $329
Application Deadline: None, apply at any time.
20 spots available
Delivered in a modular format, this 10-hour course is presented by
James M. Lang, PhD, acclaimed scholar and author. It is designed for
asynchronous learning so you can complete it at your own pace.
Grounded in research-based best practices, Principles of Effective
College Teaching will first introduce you to fundamental principles of
human learning that will guide you as you create and teach your
courses. From there, Lang will explain in detail how you can:
- Craft meaningful learning objectives using Bloom's Taxonomy
- Manage course content efficiently
- Create assignments that support course objectives
- Develop assessment plans and design exams
- Provide effective feedback and evaluations
- Enhance learning outcomes through the use of technology and new media
- Apply active learning strategies
- Keep your students motivated and engaged
- Facilitate peer-to-peer learning
- Manage difficult issues like academic dishonesty and distracted students
Learning checks at regular intervals help affirm your understanding
of the course content. You'll also appreciate the extensive
supplemental materials included with the course: readings, handouts,
full transcripts and links to online resources.
NOTE: This grant is intended for instructors within their
first three years of teaching at GVSU.
Apply for this grant via FTLC Grant System.