Assessing Student Learning
Assessing your program-level assessment plan, IDEA Paper #45
Angelo, T. A. (1991), Ten easy pieces: Assessing higher learning in four dimensions. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 1991: 17–31.
Assessing Student Learning: A Common Sense Guide, Linda Suskie, 2009
Assessment Clear and Simple: A Practical Guide for Institutions, Departments, and General Education, 2nd Ed., Barbara Walvoord, 2010
Classroom Assessment Techniques by Thomas Angelo and Patricia Cross, 1993
Introduction to Rubrics: An Assessment Tool to Save Grading Time, Convey Effective Feedback, and Promote Student Learning by Dannelle Stevens and Antonia Levi, 2012
Assessment CyberGuide for Learning Goals Outcomes, American Psychological Association, 2009.
- A resource applicable to fields other than psychology, with sections on understanding assessment, designing viable assessment plans, sustaining an assessment culture, and applying strategies.
Designing "Scoring Rubrics" For Your Classroom by Craig A. Mertler at Bowling Green State University
- helps faculty design rubrics that are used when evaluating student performances or products resulting from a performance task.
- offers classroom assessments that have been field tested and are described in detail by university faculty who have incorporated them into their courses.
- These assessments were created specifically for science and technology courses, but are broadly applicable.
- offers a wealth of resources, including occasional papers, case studies of good assessment practices, and assessment briefs.
For resources for writing solid student learning outcomes visit our Student Learning Objectives webpage.