GVSU Surplus Store
The GVSU Surplus Store was created to reduce environmental impact by engaging in sustainable practices. The Surplus Store provides items that have reached the end of their shelf life for sale to the general public and creates an avenue for educating students in the field of business and sustainability practices.
5 Things You Should Know About the GVSU Surplus Store
The GVSU Surplus Store is modernizing the way the GVSU Community disposes of its unused materials. When items have reached the end of their life cycle or are no longer needed, Procurement Services collects the items from the GVSU Community and make them available for sale at the retail store. Some of items that are available for purchase are laptops, desktop computers, office chairs and furniture, cell phones and computer monitors along with various other items.
Our goal is to reduce the amount of university materials that go to a landfill. When we find items that cannot be reused, we look to recycle them in an efficient way that maximizes our commitment to sustainability. Some items, such as electronics or hazardous materials require specialized handling. We continually work with our vendors and partners to ensure all byproducts of recycling are disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
- Products avoid ending up in a landfill.
- Products that are inadequate to sell are recycled in a responsible and sustainable manner.
- When special situations arise, products are donated to other nonprofit organizations (e.g., being schools, food pantries, etc.) in order for GVSU to continue giving back to the community.
- Students receive hands-on experience in a business setting.
- Students learn about the importance of sustainability and best practices.
- Student employment opportunities are posted to www.gvsu.edu/lakerjobs as they become available.
Reduce Costs of Operations
- The revenue from sales goes back into the University's general fund to be used for general operating costs of the University.
- The overall goal of the Surplus Store is to use the store's revenues to help provide students with a quality education at a more affordable price.