Athletic and Recreation Facilities Management and Recreation and
Wellness are committed to providing a healthy environment that
engages the Laker community. The following policies and procedures
have been established to ensure quality, safe, and inclusive
- The rec center is a controlled facility. To gain entry, please
present a valid student ID, Faculty/Staff ID, membership card, or
day pass. Users are expected to read and adhere to all posted rules
and instructions for each specific activity area.
- Parents, legal guardians, or a responsible person 16 and over must
accompany youths under 14 years of age at all times. Anyone under
the age of 14 is prohibited from using fitness and strength equipment.
- Consult a physician prior to engaging in physical activity.
Participation is at your own risk.
- The GVSU Recreation Center is not responsible for accidents or
injuries that occur due to the nature of the activity.
- Report injuries, accidents, or equipment failures immediately to
Recreation Center Staff.
- Athletic apparel including shirts, athletic shorts or pants, and
closed toed/closed heel athletic shoes are required to be worn. See
specific Rec Center Attire tab below.
- For safety reasons, all personal belongings must be placed in
storage cubbies or lockers. GVSU is not responsible for any
personal belongings lost or stolen.
- Equipment is not to be removed from activity areas and must be
used for its intended purpose.
- Tobacco, food, glass bottles, cans, alcohol, drugs, or weapons of
any kind are strictly prohibited.
- Use of bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards, hover boards and
drones are prohibited inside the Recreation Center.
- Only registered service animals are allowed in the facility.
- Headphones must be used while listening to personal music.
- Use of cameras and video equipment are not allowed.
- Advertising or promotional materials must be pre-approved by
Athletic and Recreation Facilities Department and placed in
authorized locations only.
- Only qualified Recreation staff may provide exercise instruction
and/or private training.
- Any scheduled group activity must be pre-approved and scheduled in
advance by Athletic & Recreation Facilities Management.
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated in the Recreation
Center. Participants must abide by the GVSU Student Code in
addition to all other county, state and federal laws.
- The on-duty supervisors have authority over all activity area
conduct and may ask the user to leave the facility for failure to
These rules and regulations are designed to make the Recreation
Center a safe and enjoyable place for all participants. Violations
of these rules and regulations can result in suspension or
termination of your Recreation Center privileges. These rules and
regulations may be modified or amended at any time without prior notice.