LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
A New Season of Recreation
We are excited to spring into a new season of recreation and remain committed to creating safe spaces for you to be active.
If you have not been back for a visit, please read all of the information below prior to your arrival. Check back often for updates to our policies, procedures, hours of operation and available facilities.
For more information about GVSU's reopening plan, visit the Lakers Together website.
Thank you in advance for your continued efforts at keeping us all in motion!
Welcome Daily Users
We are now selling day passes. Please review the information available on this page prior to your arrival.
Rec Center and Pool
- Rec Center Elevated Track
- Rec Center Courts - Basketball/Volleyball/Badminton/Pickleball
- Outdoor fields, track, and courts
- Cardio and Selectorized equipment.
- Free Weight Areas
- Functional Fitness Equipment
- Locker rooms
- Pool (Lap Swim Hours)
- Climbing Center
- Racquetball Courts (by reservation)
- Equipment Rental
- Towel Service
Kelly Family Sports Center
- Turf and Track
- Locker Rooms
- TRX Area
- Multi-purpose Room
Pickleball and Badminton - Let's Play!
Pickleball and badminton courts are available for open play on the lower level of the Rec Center. Equipment for either sport can be checked out for free at the main welcome desk. In order to maintain an appropriate social-distance play is limited to 2-v-2.
Things to know before you arrive
- Face Coverings are required for non-vaccinated users and are optional for vaccinated users.
- All transactions will be cashless.
If you plan to visit the GVSU Athletic and Recreation Facilities, please take your COVID-19 Self Assessment
- The Visitor self-assessment can be found and completed at this link.
- The Human Resources self-assessment can be found and completed at this link.
- Upon completion of the assessment, please take a screenshot of the result, including the date of completion, to show as proof to gain entry.
GVSU Students, Faculty, and Staff are required to complete self-assessment daily per University policy.
Cleaning and Safety Protocols
Read below for our cleaning and safety protocols.
- Welcome desks
- Plexi-glass guards have been placed at reception areas.
- All facility employees will wear face coverings according to University policy and State Order.
- All membership card scanners are customer-facing.
- All credit card terminals are customer-facing.
- Recreation and Weight Equipment
- All equipment (including cardio, selectorized, and weight rooms) is spaced according to State distancing guidelines.
- Stretching areas are taped off to encourage distancing.
- Users are required to wear face coverings according to University policy
- Additional signage is in place to remind users of requirements and restrictions.
- Facility Cleaning
- Users are required to wipe equipment before AND after use with provided sanitizing wipes.
- Facility employees wipe touch-points throughout the facility hourly.
- Hourly Public Service Announcements remind users of use and safety responsibilities.
- University maintenance crews have been trained in updated cleaning procedures.
- The university has also implemented enhanced air handling and water testing procedures, including increased ventilation, outside air intake, inspection, maintenance and cleaning of systems, and increased replacement of air filters.
Due to the nature of infectious diseases like COVID-19, no physical environment is free of the risk of transmission. Our precautions are designed to mitigate, but cannot eliminate, this risk.
- If you have a fever or do not feel well, please stay home! To insure health, guests are expected to perform a self-assessment at home before entering the facility.
- Make a plan. Keep your workouts efficient to limit the overall time of your visits as much as possible.
- Skip the locker rooms when possible. Our locker rooms are open; however, we ask that you come dressed whenever you can.
- Wear a mask. Masks are required for non-vaccinated users and optional for vaccinated users.
- Bring a water bottle with you. Bottle fillers and drinking fountains are open, but we ask patrons only use them when necessary.
- Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the facility, please use them often
- Help us keep our equipment clean. Wipe down the equipment with disposable wipes before and after use. Disposable wipe dispensers are located around the workout areas.
- Pay attention to signage. Specific equipment is closed (indicated with signage) to insure distancing requirements.
Are Face Coverings Required?
The updated university policy (6/21/21) requires a face covering to cover the mouth and nose (no face shields) in all indoor non-academic spaces for non-vaccinated users. Face coverings are optional for vaccinated users in non-academic spaces. All users are required to wear a face-covering in indoor academic spaces.