LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
A New Season of Recreation
In the months following the Rec Center closure, we have learned a lot about resilience and flexibiliity. If it sounds like the elements of a good workout - we agree! We are so grateful for our student employees who make every day possible.
If you have not been back for a visit, please read all of the information below prior to your arrival. Check back often for updates to our policies, procedures, hours of operation and available facilities.
For more information about GVSU's reopening plan, visit the Lakers Together website.
Thank you in advance for your continued efforts at keeping us all in motion!
THE INDOOR TRACK IS OPEN!
Masks coving both nose and mouth are required at all times and social distance is required.
Kelly Family Sports Center
- Turf and Track
- Locker Rooms
- TRX Area
- Multi-purpose Room
What's Not Open?
- Racquetball Courts
- Rec Center Courts for contact activity (Basketball/Volleyball)
- Equipment Rental
- Towel Service
Pickleball and Badminton - Let's Play!
Pickleball and badminton courts are available for open play on the lower level of the Rec Center. Equipment for either sport can be checked out for free at the main welcome desk. In order to maintain an appropriate social-distance play is limited to 2-v-2.
Intramural Sports will be hosting shoot-around nights in the Fieldhouse Arena though the winter semester. Check out the Recreation and Wellness webpage for details and registration information.
Things to know before you arrive
- In order to monitor capacity as regulated by State guidelines it is necessary to scan ID's upon both entrance and exit to the facility. To accomplish this, and to maintain necessary distance, the facility will have one entrance and one exit door.
- Entrance ONLY: Desk A (facing Lot F)
- Exit ONLY: Desk B (facing Kindschi Hall)
- Daily User Passes will NOT be available for sale.
- Equipment checkout and Towel service will NOT be available.
- Face Coverings are required to be worn at all times.
- Contact activities will NOT be permitted.
- All transactions will be cashless.
If you plan to visit the GVSU Athletic and Recreation Facilities, please take your COVID-19 Self Assessment
- The Visitor self-assessment can be found and completed at this link.
- The Human Resources self-assessment can be found and completed at this link.
- Upon completion of the assessment, please take a screenshot of the result, including the date of completion, to show as proof to gain entry.
GVSU Students, Faculty, and Staff are required to complete self-assessment daily per University policy.
Cleaning and Safety Protocols
Read below for our cleaning and safety protocols.
- Welcome desks
- Plexi-glass guards have been placed at reception areas.
- All facility employees will wear face coverings according to University policy and State Order.
- All membership card scanners are customer-facing.
- All credit card terminals are customer-facing.
- Equipment check-out is not available (with the exception of stretching mats).
- Recreation and Weight Equipment
- All equipment (including cardio, selectorized, and weight rooms) is spaced according to State distancing guidelines.
- Stretching areas are taped off to encourage distancing.
- Users are required to wear face coverings according to University policy
- Additional signage is in place to remind users of requirements and restrictions.
- Facility Cleaning
- Users are required to wipe equipment before AND after use with provided sanitizing wipes.
- Facility employees wipe touch-points throughout the facility hourly.
- Hourly Public Service Announcements remind users of use and safety responsibilities.
- University maintenance crews have been trained in updated cleaning procedures.
- The university has also implemented enhanced air handling and water testing procedures, including increased ventilation, outside air intake, inspection, maintenance and cleaning of systems, and increased replacement of air filters.
Due to the nature of infectious diseases like COVID-19, no physical environment is free of the risk of transmission. Our precautions are designed to mitigate, but cannot eliminate, this risk.
- If you have a fever or do not feel well, please stay home! To insure health, guests are expected to perform a self-assessment at home before entering the facility.
- Make a plan. Keep your workouts efficient to limit the overall time of your visits as much as possible.
- Skip the locker rooms when possible. Our locker rooms are open; however, we ask that you come dressed whenever you can.
- Wear a mask. Masks are required at all indoor Recreational Sports facilities, including during exercise and using equipment. The only exception is while in the pool or showering.
- Bring a water bottle with you. Bottle fillers and drinking fountains are open, but we ask patrons only use them when necessary.
- Keep your distance. Maintain 6-foot physical distancing everywhere in the building and 12-feet while engaged in physical activity.
- Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the facility, please use them often
- Help us keep our equipment clean. Wipe down the equipment with disposable wipes before and after use. Disposable wipe dispensers are located around the workout areas.
- Pay attention to signage. Specific equipment is closed (indicated with signage) to insure distancing requirements.
- No Spotting or Team Workouts .All workouts (including weight room workouts) have to be done individually
Are Face Coverings Required?
Yes! The university requires a face covering to cover the mouth and nose (no face shields) in all indoor spaces as well as within outdoor spaces when a 6' distance cannot be maintained. A face covering will be required for entry to all GVSU Athletic and Recreation facilities per State Order. For up to date information on the policy, please visit the university webpage.