Visit www.gvsu.edu/lakerstogether for more.
Purchasing Card Policies and Procedures
All new cardholders will be required to attend a training with a Program Administrator. Cardholders who need training will be contacted to schedule a time. Hour-long training sessions are held on Allendale and Pew Campus.
Guidelines for Card Use
The GVSU Purchasing Card can be used at any Mastercard merchant. Each Purchasing Card transaction must not exceed the card’s per transaction limit (including shipping). Transactions exceeding the credit limit(s) will be denied at the point of sale. Your limits are determined by your department and Appointing Officer/Dean based on current spending needs.
Split Transactions are strictly prohibited, refer to the Split Transactions Guide for additional information.
If you find a need to have your monthly limit raised, please contact a Program Administrator for further information.
All purchases must be made in compliance with University purchasing policies. Use of the card for personal purchases is strictly prohibited.
Restrictions - Items
Below is the standard list of items restricted from being bought on the purchasing card. Particularly relevant ones in bold:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Ammunition and Firearms
- Automobiles and other road-vehicles
- Cash advances, traveler checks, wire transfers, money orders
- Cellular phones, smartphones, tablets
- PDA pagers, two-way radios
- Computers and equipment, including audio-visual
- Copy machines, toner supplies
- Contractual Services by an individual as an independent contractor
- Controlled Substances
- Employment and temporary staffing services
- Entertainment (movie theaters, amusement parks, bowling, museums, etc.)
- Fax machines
- Furniture, fixtures
- Gas, unless for University vehicles
- Gift Cards and Gift Certificates
- Personal Purchases
- Travel Expenses (restaurants, hotels, airfare, car rental)
- Split transactions
- University logo stationery, envelopes, unauthorized business cards.
Restrictions - Merchants
Note that there are some types of merchants that are blocked. They include:
- Bowling Alleys
- Campgrounds and Trailer Parks
- Car Rental
- General Contractors (construction)
- Golf Courses
- Jewelry/Clock/Watch Stores
- Limousines and Taxicabs
- Liquor/Party Stores
- Motorcoach Bus Lines
- Movie Theaters
- Recreational Sporting Camps
- Snowmobile Dealers
- Tourist Attractions
- Towing Services
- Travel Agencies
- Wrecking Yards
Information Technology requires all GVSU funded computer hardware and software be purchased through the IT Technology Supply Office. Computer hardware and software purchased outside of the IT Technology Supply Office is prohibited and will not be reimbursed or supported. Information Technology Supply Office Policy
All items purchased using a GVSU p-card must be shipped to a Grand Valley State University address. Shipping to a personal or residential address is strictly prohibited.
Only the authorized cardholder should use the p-card.
Your card must be used in a responsible manner and used only for those purchases that are in the best interest of the University with a legitimate business purpose.
The GVSU Purchasing Card Policy prohibits gift cards and gift certificates from being purchased with a GVSU p-card. Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in the loss of your card privileges.
GVSU P-Cards: Top 3 Things to Avoid
Procurement Services is excited to share a new video about the most common p-card audit violations and how to avoid them! This video was scripted and produced by GVSU’s own Promotions Office. Please take a moment to watch the video and let us know what you think, we hope you enjoy it!
Purchasing Card Program Administrators
Purchasing Card Admin