What you need to know now
The first step of the migration—moving Grand Valley's Blackboard to the cloud—is complete!
- Blackboard courses will look and function as they did in the past, but the Blackboard portal page now features Ultra Base Navigation. This will impact how everyone finds their courses and organizations. Watch this video to learn more and explore the additional videos listed below.
- If you access Blackboard on a mobile device, please delete the app and re-install it. See the Blackboard mobile app page for installation and getting started information.
Please update your Blackboard bookmark to lms.gvsu.edu
General Migration Information
Over the next several months, there will be regular communication to the campus community as we prepare to equip and support faculty and students in the transition to the new enhanced Blackboard Learn Ultra platform.
- Much more information is available on the LMS migration website. Please visit it to learn more about the migration and what Blackboard Ultra has to offer. You can also find a list of frequently asked questions for faculty as well as students.
- The eLearning Technologies team will be partnering with their assigned liaison areas for specialized training opportunities.
Goodbye Blackboard Collaborate
Starting August 17, 2022 Blackboard Collaborate will no longer be available. Faculty should begin using Zoom for their webinar and web conferencing needs. For more information, visit Grand Valley's Zoom website.
Learn about Ultra Base Navigation (UBN)
In this short video, you are introduced to Ultra Base Navigation and the new Blackboard Portal which will be available beginning May 8, 2022 at lms.gvsu.edu
Finding Courses and Organizations in UBN
This short video provides an overview of where to find your courses and organizations in Ultra Base Navigation.
Knowledge Base Articles about Blackboard Learn Ultra
- How to Login to the Learning Management System
- Getting Started with Ultra Base Navigation
- Navigating Courses and Organizations in Blackboard Ultra
- Ultra Course View versus Classic Course View
- Editing Profile Pictures in Blackboard Learn Ultra
- Using the Calendar in Blackboard Learn Ultra
- Known issues being investigated after the cloud migration
eLearning Technologies provides a wide array of services and resources designed to facilitate a cohesive and seamless digital learning experience for students at GVSU - through supporting faculty in delivering high-quality, high-impact, high-engagement innovative teaching.
We support faculty, contribute to teaching excellence, and enhance student success through:
Exemplary Instructional Design for Online and Hybrid Courses
- Teaching with Technology
Effective Application of Instructional Technologies
Learning Management System Enhancement
- Digital Studio
Interactive Digital Media Development
- We also partner with the Atomic Object Technology Showcase to bring innovative emerging technologies to GVSU.
Tech Tips from eLearning
How to install Duo for MFA
Grand Valley uses Duo as a way to further increase the security of our systems. The term for this is "multi-factor authentication", or MFA for short. This video explains how to request a Duo account and install it.
Logging-in to Blackboard with Duo
This video explains the process of how to sign-in to Blackboard using Duo multi-factor authentication.
What's New from eLearning
Students share the value of online and hybrid learning at GVSU
“I keep very busy between my family and my work, however, I wish desperately to finally finish my degree in education. Online/hybrid courses will hopefully open doors to the courses I could more easily take from my home.”
—- Hope Garlock
"Supporting faculty pursuing innovation in teaching and learning."
Credits: Bird Tangram Puzzle by irene hoffman from NounProject.com ; Light Bulb by Numero Uno from NounProject.com