What you need to know now
From now through April 2023, course sites in Blackboard look and function as they did before the start of the migration.
Starting with Spring/Summer 2023, all courses will use the new, much updated Ultra Course View.
- Faculty have until then to move their courses from Classic Course View to Ultra Course View.
- eLearning has made available a variety of training opportunities for faculty to learn how to use Ultra Course View. These will be offered multiple times throughout the Fall and Winter semesters.
- Every faculty member has their own "Ultra Practice Test Course" where they can begin exploring how to use Ultra Course View.
- All faculty have been enrolled in a Blackboard site named "Blackboard Learn Ultra Self-Paced Training." You can use this site to become familiar with Ultra Course View at your own pace.
- Hear from our early adopters about their experiences teaching in Ultra courses.
- Additional information can be found on the LMS migration website, including a list of frequently asked questions for faculty and students.
- The eLearning Technologies team is happy to provide specialized Ultra training. Please contact your assigned liaisons for details.
Join Us for the miBUG Conference!
Grand Valley State University is pleased to be hosting the Spring 2023 conference for the Michigan Blackboard Users Group (miBUG). This year’s conference will focus on Blackboard Ultra, lessons learned, and best practices. Conference registration is FREE.
When: Friday May 5, 2023 from 8am – 3pm
Where: DeVos Center
Learning Ultra Course View
eLearning Technologies is offering a variety of training opportunities for faculty to learn Ultra Course View.
- This 60-minute webinar is recommended for faculty/staff, who are comfortable learning new applications on their own and want to learn the most commonly used features of Blackboard Ultra.
Blackboard Ultra Lunch-and-Learn
- Join us virtually every week during the lunch hour for a series of getting started with Bb Ultra topics. Topics include Creating and Organizing Content in Ultra, Assessments, Tests, Grading, Communications, and using Discussions. Webinars will be offered in 50-minute segments with 20-25 minutes allotted for demonstrations and the remaining time available for questions. All webinars will begin at noon.
Record Numbers Attend Blackboard Ultra Workshops
On Friday February 3, 2023, eLearning Technologies held two in-person workshops devoted to Blackboard Ultra. Over 70 faculty and staff from across the university attended the events in the Kirkhof Center’s Pere Marquette room. On hand to lead one of the workshops and answer questions were representatives from Anthology, Blackboard's parent company.
Blackboard Ultra Course Build-a-thon Sessions
- Join the eLearning Technologies team to learn how to set up your course in Blackboard Ultra. This series is a deeper dive training with a dedicated time (2.5 hours) for guided hands-on practice and course building.
5 Steps for Course Design using Blackboard Ultra
- This is a five-part series scheduled once a month between 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm on the last Tuesday of the month.
Knowledge Base Articles
- How to Login to the Learning Management System
- Getting Started with Ultra Base Navigation
- Navigating Courses and Organizations in Blackboard Ultra
- Ultra Course View versus Classic Course View
- Editing Profile Pictures in Blackboard Learn Ultra
- Using the Calendar in Blackboard Learn Ultra
Learning Ultra Base Navigation
Learn about Ultra Base Navigation (UBN)
In this short video, you are introduced to Ultra Base Navigation and the new Blackboard Portal which will be available beginning May 8, 2022 at lms.gvsu.edu
Finding Courses and Organizations in UBN
This short video provides an overview of where to find your courses and organizations in Ultra Base Navigation.
More Ultra Base Navigation Videos
Learn about the Ultra Base Navigation Tabs
eLearning Technologies provides a wide array of services and resources designed to facilitate a cohesive and seamless digital learning experience for students at GVSU - through supporting faculty in delivering high-quality, high-impact, high-engagement innovative teaching.
We support faculty, contribute to teaching excellence, and enhance student success through:
Exemplary Instructional Design for Online and Hybrid Courses
- Teaching with Technology
Effective Application of Instructional Technologies
Learning Management System Enhancement
- Digital Studio
Interactive Digital Media Development
- We also partner with the Atomic Object Technology Showcase to bring innovative emerging technologies to GVSU.
WE'RE HERE TO HELP!
Email Us: [email protected]
Call: (616) 331-2101
Hours: 8:30 am - 4pm, Monday through Friday
24x7 After Hours Support is Available
What's New from eLearning
We're happy to announce that we have a new Class Photo Roster, which is now found in Banner. This new way to find your students' ID photos can be found in the GVSU Faculty/Staff Additional Banner Applications "Class List" tool.
The Blackboard portal page now features Ultra Base Navigation. This impacts how faculty and students find their courses and organizations. Watch this video to learn more.
Please update your Blackboard bookmark to lms.gvsu.edu
Students share the value of online and hybrid learning at GVSU
“I have chosen to take an online course because it will be convenient and practical for my current situation. I have a job and an internship that keep me busy during the day. Online courses provide flexibility with time as well as location which is beneficial for me living 40 minutes away from campus.”
—- Sydney Dykstra
"Supporting faculty pursuing innovation in teaching and learning."
Credits: Bird Tangram Puzzle by irene hoffman from NounProject.com ; Light Bulb by Numero Uno from NounProject.com