Faculty Learning Communities
Whether you’ve been teaching online or hybrid courses for several years, or just getting ready to start your first semester teaching hybrid or online, all levels of expertise are welcome to join our “Online and Hybrid Faculty Learning Communities.” We hope these learning communities will provide a venue for faculty-led dialogue and sharing collective expertise regarding online/hybrid instruction at GVSU.
Community Learning Objectives
- Support new and experienced online/hybrid faculty through dialogue and samples
- Explore best practices associated with online/hybrid teaching and learning
- Identify emerging technological needs to support online teaching and learning
- Share collective expertise across disciplines
How Do I Sign-Up?
Please complete the following steps to join our FLC Blackboard organization:
- Follow this link which will take you the Blackboard site for the Faculty Learning Community.
- Once in the Blackboard site, find and click the "+ Enroll" button found at the bottom left of the course menu. This step will also be described on the Blackboard site's Announcement page.
- Sign-in: After clicking the enroll button, you may be asked to sign-in to Blackboard using your active GVSU account or your temporary account. This will require clicking a "Sign In" button on a page that says "Access Denied."
- Please remember that temporary account holders must use the "Non-GVSU Network Account Login" option.
- Enrollment: Once you've signed-in, you will see a "Self Enrollment" screen. Click the "Submit" button to complete the enrollment process.
- Confirmation: You will now see a "Success" screen, letting you know that you've successfully joined the workshop. Click the "OK" button to return to the workshop Blackboard site and begin.
Schedule for Fall 2023
Date: Thursday September 21, 2023
Time: 1pm EDT
Topic: planning topics and dates for the rest of the semester
Date: Thursday October 26, 2023
Time: 11am EDT
Topic: ungrading and alternative grading
Date: Thursday November 30, 2023
Time: 11am EST
Topic: artificial intelligence
Date: Thursday December 14, 2023
Time: 11am EST
Topic: student presentations; gamification
Benefits of Faculty Learning Communities
Kristen Vu, Assistant Professor of Diagnostic & Treatment Sciences
"We have a great support system..."
"The sharing of knowledge, tips and suggestions has been valuable to me as I continue to improve my online/hybrid instruction methods and organization of my online content."
"I always learn something new that can be applied to all my classes, whether they are taught in the traditional format or the hybrid format."
"I enjoy attending to keep up to date in the latest best practices in online/hybrid teaching and in knowing what my colleagues across the university are doing in their online teaching."