National Accreditation since 1988
The College of Education's accreditation status was most recently renewed by NCATE (the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) in 2012. NCATE has nationally recognized and accredited the College of Education's initial and advanced programs since 1988. A copy of the 2012 Approval Letter and the Accreditation Action Report is attached below.
In 2013, NCATE merged into CAEP (the National Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation). CAEP will oversee the continuing accreditation status of the College of Education; the next on-site review of the college will occur in 2019. Until the College of Education is reviewed by CAEP, the College of Education remains accredited by NCATE.
CAEP Annual Reporting Measures
CAEP has eight annual reporting measures which are used to provide information to the public on both the College of Education's program outcome and program impact.
1. Impact on P-12 learning and development:
Student Achievement Study: Pre/Post Test
All Initial Certification Candidates conduct a pre/post test with P-12 students during two units of instruction. The results provide data on the impact each candidate has on the P-12 classroom.
2. Indicators of teaching effectiveness:
EPI Score Report
The Educator Preparation Institution (EPI) Score Report is issued by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) and is comprised of three measures: (a) Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC) content/subject area tests, (b) Survey data collected from candidates and university supervisors, and (c) Teacher effectiveness ratings for program completers.
- 2018 EPI Score Report
- 2017 EPI Score Report
- 2016 EPI Score Report
- 2015 EPI Score Report
- 2014 EPI Score Report
At the conclusion of each initial/undergraduate teacher candidate's preparation program, Michigan Department of Education (MDE) surveys both the teacher candidates and the GVSU field coordinator/supervisor on the effectiveness of the candidates.
Survey of Initial/Undergraduate Completers:
- 2016-2017 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
- 2015-2016 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
- 2014-2015 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
Survey from GVSU Supervisors on Initial/Undergraduate Completers:
3. Satisfaction of employers and employment milestones:
The Michigan Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE) developed a survey in 2017 that was sent to area principals and administrators.
4. Satisfaction of completers:
Year Out Report on Preparation of Completers:
- 2016-2017 Alumni Year Out Survey Report: MDE data analysis in process pending verification of accuracy
- 2015-2016 Alumni Year Out Survey Report
Survey of Graduate Completers:
For graduate programs, GVSU surveys all students at the completion of their program.
5. Graduation Rates:
Undergraduate Teacher Education
Graduation rate: 92.8%
(Students awarded a bachelor's degree within three years after admission to the College of Education during the 2014-2015 academic year)
Graduate Teacher Certification
Completion rate: 93.3%
(Students completing all requirements to earn a Michigan Standard Teacher Certificate after admission to the College of Education for the 2016-2017 cohort)
6. Ability of completers to meet certification requirements
MTTC Pass Rates for Title II Report
The Title II Federal Report website provides information on the College of Education's completers.
Additionally, Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Annual Institution Reports for Grand Valley State University are available below for the following program years:
8. Student loan default rates and other consumer information:
Course Assessment Reports
Colleagues is a bi-annual periodical produced by the College of Education's Center for Educational Partnerships. The magazine invites students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members to contribute articles relating to the field of education. Colleagues informs its readership of COE happenings and current practices in the field of education. Special ‘topic-driven’ issues (race, poverty, special education, etc.) are produced on an intermittent basis.
From 2003 through 2016, the College of Education published an annual report. This report details College of Education faculty, staff, and student achievements, projects. In 2017, the annual report was merged into Colleagues magazine.
Michigan Department of Education Program Approval
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) periodically reviews the College of Education's programs and maintains a list of approved educator preparation programs offered by Grand Valley State University's College of Education. This list can be viewed on MDE's ProPrep website.
List of Nationally Recognized Programs
College of Education Programs
- Cognitive Impairment: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Early Childhood Education: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Educational Leadership: National Policy Board for Educational Administration (NPBEA)
- Education Specialist: National Policy Board for Educational Administration (NPBEA)
- Educational Technology: International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Elementary Education: Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Emotional Impairment: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Learning Disabilities: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Reading Specialist: International Literacy Association (ILA)
- Special Education Administration: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) Programs
- Biology: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Chemistry: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Earth/Space Science: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- English: National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- French: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- German: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Integrated Science Elementary: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Integrated Science Secondary: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Mathematics Middle School (K-8): National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Mathematics Secondary (9-12): National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Music Education- K-12: National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Physical Education: Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America)
- Physics: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Spanish: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
Grand Valley State University’s College of Education maintains memberships or affiliations with the following organizations:
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Directors and Representatives of Teacher Education Programs in Michigan (DARTEP)
- Michigan Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)