Visit www.gvsu.edu/lakerstogether for more.
National Accreditation since 1988
The College of Education's accreditation was most recently renewed by CAEP (the national Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) as the college received full initial accreditation in November 2019. The College of Education's initial programs will remain accredited by CAEP through December 31, 2026. Prior to receiving CAEP accreditation, the college was nationally recognized and accredited by NCATE (the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) at both the initial and advanced level from 1988 through 2019. A copy of the 2019 CAEP Approval Letter is attached below.
CAEP Annual Reporting Measures
CAEP has eight annual reporting measures which are used to provide information to the public on both the College of Education's program outcome and program impact.
1. Impact on P-12 learning and development:
Student Achievement Study: Pre/Post Test
All Initial Certification Candidates conduct a pre/post test with P-12 students during two units of instruction. The results provide data on the impact each candidate has on the P-12 classroom.
2. Indicators of teaching effectiveness:
Effectiveness of Initial Candidate Completers
Michigan public school principals evaluate all teachers and assign one of four labels: Highly Effective, Effective, Minimally Effective, and Ineffective.
GVSU program completers receiving the Highly Effective or Effective labels:
- 2018-2019: 97.5%
- 2017-2018: 97.3%
- 2016-2017: 95.0%
- 2015-2016: 92.0%
- 2014-2015: 91.9%
EPI Score Report
The Educator Preparation Institution (EPI) Score Report is issued by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) and is comprised of three measures: (a) Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC) content/subject area tests, (b) Survey data collected from candidates and university supervisors, and (c) Teacher effectiveness ratings for program completers.
- 2019 EPI Score Memo from MDE
- 2018 EPI Score Report
- 2017 EPI Score Report
- 2016 EPI Score Report
- 2015 EPI Score Report
- 2014 EPI Score Report
At the conclusion of each initial/undergraduate teacher candidate's preparation program, Michigan Department of Education (MDE) surveys both the teacher candidates and the GVSU field coordinator/supervisor on the effectiveness of the candidates.
Survey of Initial/Undergraduate Completers:
- 2018-2019 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
- 2016-2017 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
- 2015-2016 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
- 2014-2015 GVSU Teacher Candidate Survey Report
Survey from GVSU Supervisors on Initial/Undergraduate Completers:
4. Satisfaction of completers:
Year Out Report on Preparation of Completers:
- 2018-2019 Alumni Year Out Survey Report
- 2016-2017 Alumni Year Out Survey Report
- 2015-2016 Alumni Year Out Survey Report
Survey of Graduate Completers:
For graduate programs, GVSU surveys all students at the completion of their program.
5. Graduation Rates:
Undergraduate Teacher Education
Graduation rate: 97.3%
(Students awarded a bachelor's degree within three years after admission to the College of Education during the 2016-2017 academic year)
Graduate Teacher Certification
Completion rate: 87.0%
(Students completing all requirements to earn a Michigan Standard Teacher Certificate after admission to the College of Education for the 2018-2019 cohort)
6. Ability of completers to meet certification requirements
MTTC Pass Rates for Title II Report
Shortly after the beginning of each calendar year, the College of Education is required to report on their completers from September 1st through August 31st of the previous academic year; for example, the 2017 Title Report reflects back on the 2015-2016 academic year. The Title II Federal Report website provides information on the College of Education's completers.
Additionally, Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Annual Institution Reports for Grand Valley State University are available below for the following program years:
8. Student loan default rates and other consumer information:
Course Assessment Reports
From 2003 through 2016, the College of Education published an Annual Report. This report detailed College of Education faculty, staff, and student achievements, projects. Archived copies of the Annual Report are stored in the Dean's Office of the College of Education.
In 2017, the Annual Report was merged into Colleagues magazine. Colleagues is a periodical produced by the College of Education's Center for Educational Partnerships. The magazine invites students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members to contribute articles relating to the field of education. Colleagues informs its readership of COE happenings and current practices in the field of education. Special ‘topic-driven’ issues (race, poverty, special education, etc.) are produced on an intermittent basis.
Michigan Department of Education Program Approvals
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) periodically reviews the College of Education's programs and maintains a list of approved educator preparation programs offered by Grand Valley State University's College of Education.
List of Nationally Recognized Programs
College of Education Programs
- Cognitive Impairment: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Early Childhood Education: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Educational Leadership: National Policy Board for Educational Administration (NPBEA)
- Education Specialist: National Policy Board for Educational Administration (NPBEA)
- Educational Technology: International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Elementary Education: Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Emotional Impairment: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Learning Disabilities: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Reading Specialist: International Literacy Association (ILA)
- Special Education Administration: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) Programs
- Biology: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Chemistry: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Earth/Space Science: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- English: National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- French: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- German: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Integrated Science Elementary: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Integrated Science Secondary: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Mathematics Middle School (K-8): National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Mathematics Secondary (9-12): National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Music Education- K-12: National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Physics: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Spanish: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
Grand Valley State University’s College of Education maintains memberships or affiliations with the following organizations: