NCATE Accreditation since 1987
The College of Education's accreditation status was most recently renewed by NCATE (the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) in 2012. NCATE has nationally recognized and accredited the College of Education's initial and advanced programs since 1987. A copy of the 2012 Approval Letter and the Accreditation Action Report is attached below.
In 2013, NCATE merged into CAEP (the national Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation). CAEP will oversee the continuing accreditation status of the College of Education; the next on-site review of the college will occur in 2019. Until the College of Education is reviewed by CAEP, the College of Education remains accredited by NCATE.
EPI Score Report
The Educator Preparation Institution (EPI) Score Report is issued by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) and is comprised of three measures: (a) Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC) content/subject area tests, (b) Survey data collected from candidates and university supervisors, and (c) Teacher effectiveness ratings for program completers.
Michigan Department of Education Program Approval
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) periodically reviews the College of Education's programs and maintains a list of approved educator preparation programs offered by Grand Valley State University's College of Education. This list can viewed on the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS) website.
List of Nationally Recognized Programs
College of Education Programs
- Educational Leadership: Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC)
- Educational Technology: Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Emotional Impairment: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Learning Disabled: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Reading Specialist: International Reading Association (IRA)
- Special Education Administration: Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) Programs
- Biology: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Chemistry: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Earth/Space Science: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- English: National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- German: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Health Education: National Association for Health Education (AAHE)
- Integrated Science: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Mathematics: National Council of Teacher of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Music Education- K-12: National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Physical Education: National Association for Sports and Physical Education (NASPE)
- Physics: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
Grand Valley State University’s College of Education maintains memberships or affiliations with the following organizations:
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Directors and Representatives if Teacher Education Programs in Michigan (DARTEP)
- Michigan Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)