Undergraduate Student Support
The Writing Center is here to help you with...
- Brainstorming ideas
- Making an argument
- Outlining and planning
- Drafting your paper
- Processing feedback
- Understanding assignments
- Thinking about audience
- Writing in any genre
- Collaborating with other writers
- Citing sources effectively
- Supporting ideas with evidence
You can get help in a variety of ways:
- ONE-TO-ONE MEETINGS: During Fall 2020, the Writing Center will be offering face-to-face consultations at our Lake Ontario Hall Room 120 location through appointment only. Schedule your appointment through Book It today and review how to prepare for your session to see the safety policies and procedures we have in place to protect staff and students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- GROUP MEETINGS: Feel free to bring group papers and group members to any of our virtual services! In Book It, you can add group members to a scheduled appointment through their email to ensure everyone receives a summary of what was discussed in your consultation.
- ONLINE: You can meet with a trained consultant online through logging into Book It and either creating an appointment for an upcoming date/time, or enter our virtual drop-in queue and work with the next available consultant. Our drop-in service is available during all regular service hours. Visit our Online Services page to learn more!
We're here to assist you with any writing project, at any stage of your writing process. The center's well-trained peer consultants can help you to brainstorm ideas, organize content, integrate research, polish a draft, and correctly document sources.
Through peer mentorship, the Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors provides a safe space for analytical dialogue, wherein writers develop strategies and skills for building awareness of and confidence in their own writing process.
More Ways We Can Help
Support for ESL/Non-Native English Speaking Writers
If you're looking for more language-focused support for your literacy experience at Grand Valley (writing, reading, note-taking, listening, and/or conversational speaking), consider clicking the pic. There, you'll be directed to our multilingual writers' support page.
The Weekly Appointment
The weekly appointment allows for students to get weekly, dedicated, predictable support from the same consultant for 50-minute sessions each time. These relationships guarantee one-to-one time with a consultant, who can build upon conversations, lessons, and support from week to week. Typical reasons for getting weekly appointments include:
- Slower pacing for typical session content
- More time for instructional support
- Dedicated support from the same person
- Professor recommendation
- Consultant recommendation
Typical clients who'd benefit from a weekly appointment include:
- ESL/Non-Native English Speaking Students
- Students using Disability Services
- Athletics Collaboration
- Students with a Professor Recommendation