Undergraduate Student Support
The Writing Center is here to help you with...
- Brainstorming ideas
- Making an argument
- Outlining and planning
- Drafting your paper
- Processing feedback
- Understanding assignments
- Thinking about audience
- Writing in any genre
- Collaborating with other writers
- Citing sources effectively
- Supporting ideas with evidence
You can get help in a variety of ways:
- ONE-TO-ONE, FACE-TO-FACE MEETINGS: These are as Drop-ins (come in during open hours and get help first-come-first-served style) or as appointments (which can be set up ahead of time so you don't have to wait when you arrive).
- GROUP, FACE-TO-FACE MEETINGS: Feel free to bring group papers and group members to any of our physical locations for a session.
- ONLINE GOOGLE DOCS: You can meet with a trained consultant online through Google Docs when you're unable to make it tin to a physical location.
We're here to assist you with any writing project, at any stage of your writing process. The center's well-trained peer consultants can help you to brainstorm ideas, organize content, integrate research, polish a draft, and correctly document sources.
Through peer mentorship, the Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors provides a safe space for analytical dialogue, wherein writers develop strategies and skills for building awareness of and confidence in their own writing process.
Looking for more, please click the tiles below to learn about our common services, who our employees are, and links to helpful resources. Also, keep scrolling and you'll find information about consultant qualifications, staff areas of study, and information about our policies as a center. Still want to learn more? This page also provides information about our linguistic diversity initiative, how you can work with consultants online, and a link to the Knowledge Market website.
More Ways We Can Help
Support for ESL/Non-Native English Speaking Writers
If you're looking for more language-focused support for your literacy experience at Grand Valley (writing, reading, note-taking, listening, and/or conversational speaking), consider clicking the pic. There, you'll be directed to our multilingual writers' support page.
The Weekly Appointment
The weekly appointment allows for students to get weekly, dedicated, predictable support from the same consultant for 50-minute sessions each time. These relationships guarantee face-to-face time with a consultant, who can build upon conversations, lessons, and support from week to week. Typical reasons for getting weekly appointments include:
- Slower pacing for typical session content
- More time for instructional support
- Dedicated support from the same person
- Professor recommendation
- Consultant recommendation
Typical clients who'd benefit from a weekly appointment include:
- ESL/Non-Native English Speaking Students
- Students using Disability Services
- Athletics Collaboration
- Students with a Professor Recommendation
If you feel you still need a weekly but don't fall under the categories listed above, do not hesitate to call us at 616-331-2922 or come in and visit us at LOH 120 during our business hours
Have other questions? Stop in and visit! Or call us at 331-2922.