Graduate Student Services
Writing in Graduate School can pose unique challenges - that's why we're here to help you wherever you are. We're here to assist you with any writing project, at any stage of your writing process from brainstorming, to final edits and citations, and anything in between.
Read on to see what specific services we offer to help Graduate Students and where you can go for additional writing resources and information.
We look forward to working with you!
Writing in College: We are here for you
Our consultants are here and ready to work with you. As a Graduate Student, the Writing Center is flexible in that we have multiple consultation types, styles, locations, and resources to help support you as you work on your project. Have any specific concerns? Contact us!
Not only does the Writing Center have multiple styles and types of consultations, but each of our consultants is highly trained and able to adapt to your needs during your writing consultation. Each session is different - help us make yours tailored to your needs and style.
The Writing Center has a wide range of open hours and is available through phone, email, and our scheduling software Book It. Whether it be for a consultation or a quick question, drop-in to see us and our consultants will be there and ready to help!
How can we help you?
- Brainstorming ideas
- Deciphering assignments
- Crafting arguments
- Incorporating audience
- Outlining and planning
- Writing in a variety of genres
- Drafting your paper
- Collaborating with other writers
- Processing feedback
- Citing sources effectively
- Supporting ideas with evidence
Services Specific to Graduate Students
We know writers are busy; the Writing Center, therefore, maintains a virtual presence for writers everywhere. Use the Writing Center online through:
- Drop-ins: log into Book It today and select "Virtual Drop In" to have a 30-minute writing consultation. This service operates as first-come-first-serve; however, you are able to drop-in during all our open hours.
- Appointments: log into Book It to schedule an appointment for a writing consultation at a time tailored to your availability. At the time of your appointment, simply log back into Book It, check in, and your consultant will be ready and waiting to help you for your 30 or 50 minute session.
Unable to meet one-to-one with a consultant? The Writing Center offers an Email Consultation service that allows you to submit a draft of your project through Book It, and within 72 hours you will receive your project back with embedded feedback from one of our trained peer consultants.
As a graduate student, you automatically have access to our Email Consultation service. If you do not have Email Consultation access in your Book It profile, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact Patrick Johnson, Writing Center Director ([email protected]).
Visit our page on Email Consultations to learn more!