Support for Faculty/Staff Writers
Faculty/Staff Writing Retreats: Up-Coming Dates & Information
Spring Break Faculty Writing Retreat
March 6th-8th, 2023
Spring Faculty Writing Retreat
May 1st-5th, 2023
Summer Faculty Writing Retreat
August 7th-11th, 2023
Click the link to view our Scholarly Writing Initiatives for Faculty & Staff flier. This will provide more details on ways in which the Writing Center aims to support Faculty/Staff writers at GVSU. Feel free to print a copy for your office, a colleague, or save it to your computer for future reference.
The mission of the Writing Center is to meet not only the needs of students, but those of all writers across the university. In order to attract a strong community of faculty/staff writers, we offer a number of services for use in their classrooms and with their own writing. If you're interested in joining up for the up-coming faculty retreat, please email Lisa Gullo at [email protected] Space is limited, so reach out as soon as you can.
Ways We Help:
Faculty/Staff Writing Retreats
Structured as writing time with opportunities for individualized feedback, these 5-day retreats are an opportunity for faculty and staff to make extraordinary progress on a long writing project -- or several shorter ones. Writing center representatives will facilitate the retreats and be available to provide feedback to participants.
We'll provide a work station, light snacks, and plenty of coffee and tea; you bring the materials you'll need to be productive on your writing project and your own laptop.
Patrick Johnson, Director of the Writing Center, and/or Jerry Stinnett, Director of Writing Across the Curriculum, will be on hand to provide feedback if you'd like a personal consultation about your project.
If you are interested in attending an upcoming retreat, please complete this form and return it to Lisa Gullo ([email protected]).
Requested Peer Support
Faculty/Staff Writing Groups:
Meet with a small group of your colleagues from across campus to share drafts of your writing for feedback. For more information, feel free to contact us with your questions and/or requests.
Click here to view our Scholarly Writing Initiatives for Faculty & Staff flier for details.
**Due to low attendance, the Writing Center is no longer offering Faculty Fridays, though we do support small Faculty/Staff writing groups, which provides a similar atmosphere. For more information about joining your own writing group, please contact the Director, Patrick Johnson, or the Writing Center at 331-2922
Writing Retreat Materials
- Patrick Johnson, Director of the Fred Meijer Center for Writing, & Jerry Stinnett, Director of Writing Across the Curriculum, will facilitate the retreat.
- The Center will provide a laptop computer for your use, as well as writing resources and goal-setting activities to keep you focused.
- The Center will ensure you' are well nourished and alert by providing snacks and drinks throughout the day and lunch at noon.
- Participants are expected to spend at least seven hours per day on writing or writing-related activities and join other participants for lunch each day.
- Form to be filled out ahead of the retreat to help participants gather their ideas and materials and show up ready to write. Daily Reflection Form
- Form filled out by participants at the end of each day to keep track of what they accomplished and where to pick back up in the morning. Resources and Reminders
- Guides participants to online and bookshelf resources, as well as other writing support. Retreat Evaluation Form
- Participants tell us what they think of the retreat.
Scholarship & Helpful Links
And here are some links to great pieces about writing as a faculty member:
- Inside Higher Education's "Writing for Academe" series
- "Retreating Into the Center: Supporting Faculty and Staff as Writers," by Ellen Schendel, published in Writing Lab Newsletter.
- "Writing Group as Sanctuary," by Lisa Botshon and Eve Raimon, published in Chronicle of Higher Education.
- More Helpful Links
Have other questions? Stop in and visit! Or call us at 331-2922.