Apply to be a Writing Consultant
New Writing Consultant Applications for 2023-2024 are now closed. We will reopen our hiring process in early 2024, but please reach out if you have any questions about our hiring process please contact the Writing Center Director - Patrick Johnson ([email protected]).
Students of all majors are invited and encouraged to apply!
The benefits of working as a writing consultant include the following:
- Flexible scheduling: we work around your classes, clubs, and other professional and social obligations.
- $12.20 per hour (undergrads): your first semester as a consultant, we require that you maintain a work schedule of at least 8 hours a week.
- $14.70 per hour (grads): your first semester as a consultant, we require that you maintain a work schedule of at least 8 hours a week.
- On-campus employment: we have Writing Center locations in Allendale and Downtown as well as online hours
- Resume building opportunities
- Friendly, comfortable work environment
- Work closely with students and faculty
- Learn to help people
- Build communication skills
- Research opportunities
- Conference opportunities
- Gain writing skills/strategies
Applications for our 2023-2024 Seidman GA, TESOL GA, and Special Projects GA positions are currently closed.
To learn more about our available Graduate Assistantships, click the image on the right to be taken to our Apply for a Graduate Assistantship page, or contact Patrick Johnson, Writing Center Director, for help with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Forms & More Information
If you want more in-depth questions with more developed answers about the application, the position, the work of a writing consultant, and the process of learning how to be a consultant, click: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS