LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
What makes an Email Consultation different?
Email consultations, unlike all of our other services, are not synchronous; meaning, writers are asked to submit their papers using our scheduling system Book It. Consultants are then given 72 hours to respond with feedback, and the papers are returned to the student with written feedback based on areas of concern highlighted by the writer or based on areas noticed by the consultant during their 1 hour of review/reading time.
Please note that you can submit one project/draft at a time. Once you receive feedback, you are more than welcome to submit another assignment!
Eligibility for Email Consultations
An Email Consultation is a great tool for writers...
- who don't have access to our physical campus locations or whose schedules prevent them from accessing other online or evening service options
- who are graduate students and have longer more demanding assignments
- who are recent graduates of GVSU and need writing support applying for jobs or gaining admission into professional and/or graduate school
- who are exclusively taking online classes
- who are taking hybrid courses that only meet in person at the beginning of the semester (such as AHS 301, 321, 340, 495)
- who are stationed off-campus, studying abroad or attending one of our satellite campuses (Traverse City, Muskegon, Holland, or Detroit)
Submitting a Project
Through our new scheduling system, Book It, submitting your project for an email consultation can be easy and quick!
Book It works through a series of permissions. Fill out an Additional Services Request form or contact Patrick Johnson, Writing Center Director (email@example.com) to inquire about adding email consultation access to your Book It account.
Once you are added, when you log into Book It you will find a button on the top navigation bar that says "New Email Review." Simply click that button, submit your draft, and add a few details to help show the consultant what you would like them to focus their attention on.
Once you submit a project, one of our trained peer writing consultants will return your draft back to you with embedded feedback within 72 hours of the submitted request. Your feedback can be accessed through the response email you will receive, or through logging back into your Book It account. Click the button on the right to submit a new email consultation request today!
**Note: The writing center is dedicated to getting papers back within the 72 hour window, but during peak usage times, some back-up is to be expected. Be sure to take long waits and long lines into consideration when submitting papers through our email service -- it is still first come, first served.