Student Advising and Mentorship
The School of Social Work is committed to excellent advising and mentorship to students. Through the combined efforts of the faculty, staff and the College of Education and Community Innovation (CECI) Advising Center, students are provided with comprehensive and centralized advising services. Faculty and staff offer students academic advising support:
- Degree planning including general education and major and minor requirements
- Development and review of degree progress plans
- Personalized course selection assistance
- Dissemination of Grand Valley policies and procedures
- Outreach and support to students in academic jeopardy
- Assistance with the creation of long-term goals, and
Referrals to faculty mentors in the appropriate social work program, based on first letter of last name:
Dr. Patty Bolea (A-C) Dr. Emily Nichols (D-H) Dr. Sally Pelon (I-R) Dr. Melissa Villarreal (S-Z)
379 DeVos Center 331 DeVos Center 371C DeVos Center 373C DeVos Center
Phone: (616)331-6560 Phone: (616)331-6446 Phone: (616) 331-6588 (616)331-6597
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
Students are also offered support for mentoring. Faculty members providing professional advisement and mentorship are expected to:
- Augment the information provided to the students by the CECI Advising Center, located on Pew campus, DeVos Center, 217C.
- Provide advice and counsel regarding the University and community, social work profession career/employment planning, special projects, volunteer and field placement experiences.
- Provide advice and counsel to advisees when they are experiencing academic difficulty.
- Study abroad opportunities.
- Departmental or professional scholarships.
- Advocate on behalf of the student/advisee to find appropriate solutions to academic problems.
- Support and protect the rights of students by informing them of grievance procedures.
Upon declaration of social work as a major, students will be assigned a faculty mentor to assist the student with questions regarding the profession. In addition, students are encouraged to make contact with the College of Education and Community Innovation (CECI) Undergraduate Advising Center. https://www.gvsu.edu/ceciadvising/