Student Advising and Mentorship
The School of Social Work is committed to excellent advising and mentorship to students. Through the combined efforts of the faculty, staff and the College of Community and Public Service Advising Center, students are provided with comprehensive and centralized advising services. Faculty and staff offer students academic advising support:
- Degree planning including general education and major and minor requirements
- Development and review of degree progress plans
- Personalized course selection assistance
- Dissemination of Grand Valley policies and procedures
- Outreach and support to students in academic jeopardy
- Assistance with the creation of long-term goals, and
Referrals to faculty mentors in the appropriate social work program, based on first letter of last name:
Dr. Julie Guevara (A-D) Dr. Shelley Schuurman (E-L)
361C DeVos Center 369C DeVos Center
Phone: (616) 331-6559 Phone: (616) 331-6590
Dr. Sally Pelon (M-Sm) Dr. Lihua Huang (Sn-Z)
371C DeVos Center 351C DeVos Center
Phone: (616) 331-6588 Phone: (616) 331-6623
Students are also offered support for mentoring. Faculty members providing professional advisement and mentorship are expected to:
- Augment the information provided to the students by the CCPS Advising Center, located on Pew campus, DeVos Center, 217C.
- Provide advice and counsel regarding the University and community, social work profession career/employment planning, special projects, volunteer and field placement experiences.
- Provide advice and counsel to advisees when they are experiencing academic difficulty.
- Study abroad opportunities.
- Departmental or professional scholarships.
- Advocate on behalf of the student/advisee to find appropriate solutions to academic problems.
- Support and protect the rights of students by informing them of grievance procedures.
Upon declaration of social work as a major, students will be assigned a faculty mentor to assist the student with questions regarding the profession. In addition, students are encouraged to make contact with the College of Community and Public Service Undergraduate Advising Center. http://www.gvsu.edu/ccpsadvising/