LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
Happy New Year!
- Our advising center will be offering virtual drop in advising to assist students with all immediate winter schedule concerns through January 14th.
- The last day to make changes or add classes to your winter schedule is January 14th, 2022 by 5:00 pm.
- Drop-in advising will be available now through Friday January 14th from 10:00a-12:00p and 1:00p-4:00p.
- During these times, you can sign in for drop-in advising through Navigate, by calling our office at 616.331.6890, or by stopping in to see us in 321 C DeVos on the downtown campus.
GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC ADVISING MISSION STATEMENT
Academic advising engages students in the process of exploring and defining their academic and career goals and in creating effective strategies to achieve these goals.
- Through collaborative relationships with academic advisors, students are encouraged and supported as they develop the skills necessary to take responsibility for their own development and success.
- Academic advisors educate students by providing accessible, accurate and timely information regarding academic requirements, university resources and opportunities to develop critical thinking skills and enrich the college experience and their personal lives.
Advising Services in the College of Education and Community Innovation
Here are just some of the ways the staff in the CECI-UAC can help you achieve your degree goals:
- Degree Planning. Academic Advisors help students make informed choices about degree and graduation requirements. They can help clarify curriculum, course content, and optimal course sequences. Advisors will also enhance student awareness of diverse educational experiences to further enrich the academic plan.
- Goal Setting. Academic Advisors can assist students with the clarification of career and life goals; development of decision-making skills; reinforcement of self-direction; and evaluation of student progress toward established goals.
- Outreach & Support. Academic Advisors can assist students with academic support needs through individual sessions, group workshops, and connections with educational resources across the university.
- Policies & Procedures. Students are responsible for their role in the academic process and navigating the university system. Academic Advisors can help clarify university policies and procedures to enhance the student’s ability to participate in the academic process.
- Referrals. Academic Advisors can refer students to faculty mentors, other campus services and student success resources.
Internships and Jobs
As of June 19, 2018, the GVSU Career Center and GVSU Student Employment transitioned from LakerJobs to a NEW online job/internship posting and event management system called Handshake. This state-of-the-art platform will offer you the valuable services that LakerJobs did, but with expanded capabilities. Employers, students, and alumni are invited to visit the Handshake Transition website for key information about this transition, and to create a Handshake account.
January 20, 2022 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
The CECI Undergraduate Advising Center and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships are partnering to help you work on your scholarship essays and to give you some tips and tricks on how to organize...
January 25, 2022 12:00 PM - 12:45 PM
The Grand Valley State University Master of Health Administration (MHA), Master of Public Administration (MPA), and Master of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership Graduate Program...
January 31, 2022 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Sign up to have your resume reviewed by industry professionals! This is your chance to get valuable feedback from employers including tips on formatting, content, and how to translate your course...
February 1, 2022 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
The Hospitality & Tourism Management (HTM) Department is once again looking to host a networking event that will allow the students to connect informally with our industry partners. The...
February 8, 2022 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
This event will include clinical exam strategies, BSW & MSW licensure, resume tips and tricks, an employer roundtable, and more. Click here for additional information RSVP...