For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email email@example.com. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
BSW Admission and Academic Requirements
The School's BSW Candidacy admission procedures are administered by its BSW Director and the assigned faculty. Social work majors are encouraged to work with the Advising Center to be sure that all academic requirements are in place for Candidacy. They are also referred to seek advice advisement from the BSW Program Director. Students apply online for candidacy for the BSW program.
1. The complete "Application for Candidacy for the BSW Degree" are reviewed by the BSW Program Director and the BSW Committee.
2. The BSW Committee consists of assigned faculty with primary responsibility for BSW curriculum. This group meets to review applications and information related to academic progress in coursework.
3. The Committee awards three types of admittance:
- Full Admittance: All requirements are complete for candidacy. You are fully ready participate in the BSW program.
- Conditional Admittance: Conditional admittance indicates one or more of the following conditions applies: Cumulative GPA below 2.500, missing or lack of successful completion of prerequisite courses, poorly developed or unclear admission statement, significant concerns regarding writing skills, concerns with professional expectations, or something else determined by reviewing faculty. With conditional admittance, faculty will require steps be taken to ensure academic preparation for the BSW program. After successful completion of required steps, student will be granted full admittance.
- Denial of Admittance: Student does not meet the requirements or expectations necessary to succeed in the BSW program.
4. The BSW Program Director reports the Committee's decisions to the Director of the School of Social Work and seeks settlement of any disputes.
5. Applicants are notified in writing of the Committee's decision.
6. The applicant denied Candidacy may appeal to the Director of the School of Social Work.
Accepted applicants are regarded as candidates for the BSW degree, while those who were not accepted are referred for advisement and counseling. The Candidate for the BSW degree must maintain the 3.0 cumulative average in the social work courses.
To be eligible for Candidacy students must have:
1. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (4.0 scale)
2. Earned a minimum grade of C (2.0) and not have repeated the following courses more than once: SW 150, BIO 104, PLS 102, PSY 101, MTH 110, SOC 101, SW 300, PSY 303/324, and course in social problems/social inequality.
Please review the College of Community and Public Service Advising Center website by using this link: https://www.gvsu.edu/ccpsadvising/social-work-111.htm
The link to the application is below. You will need your GVSU login and password to access the application. You can upload your resume and personal statement within the online application. Applications are due Friday, January 17, 2020 by 5pm. If you are an incoming transfer student attending Grand Valley starting in Spring/Summer 2020 or Fall 2020, the deadline for those applications will be July 1, 2020.
The B.S.W. requires successful completion of 120 semester hours of college credit. The program is built on a foundation of liberal arts and 34 hours of required cognate courses and international courses. In addition, students must take 44 credit hours of coursework in the major, including the areas of human behavior and the social environment, social welfare policy and services, social research, integrated methods in social work practice, and the field practicum in social work. Students who wish to major in social work must apply for candidacy status at the end of their sophomore year and must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.5. A minimum overall average of 3.0 in major courses is required for continuation in candidacy status.