Trips out to the lakeshore - Muskegon, Grand Haven, Holland, and all the attractions and beaches in between - were always a highlight of my time at GV regardless of the season.
Accounting Career Guide
Sample Past Internship Sites:
- Ernst & Young (EY)
- DeLong & Brower, P.C.
- The Homestead Resort
- Van Andel Institute
- Dow Corporation
- The Rehmann Group
Where Alumni Have Landed
- Auditor – Deloitte
- Accounting Analyst – Meritage Hospitality Group
- Accounting Clerk – SpartanNash
- Accounting Administrator – Bekins
- Staff Associate – VanderPloeg, Bergakker, & Associates
- Tax Staff – Crowe LLP
- Tax Associate – BDO USA, LLP
- Risk & Accounting Advisory Services Consultant – Plante Moran
- Staff Auditor – Beene Garter LLP
- Assurance Staff – Plante Moran
- Staff Accountant – Helmholdt & Co.
- Accounting Associate – Baker Holtz
- Assistant Controller – Eikenhout, Inc.
- Assurance Associate – PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
- Staff Accountant – Eenhoorn LLC
- Financial Analyst – Spectrum Health
- Internal Auditor – Gordon Food Service
- Associate International Tax Analyst - Amway
- Staff Accountant – EHTC
My favorite GVSU memories are probably related to the group road trips to Florence, Alabama for the 2005 and 2006 Division II National Championship football games.
Student Organizations to Consider
Study Abroad Programs
Accounting students can reap huge benefits through studying abroad by gaining a better understanding of the different accounting standards in the world, learning more about different tax systems, and analyzing international business models.
Develop some of these technical and professional competencies to be successful:
- Microsoft Excel
- Tax Software
- Knowledge of ERP / SAP
- Tax Law
- Audit principles
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Organization and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Strong math skills
- High level attention to detail
- Data Entry
Graduate and Professional Education
If you are interested in pursuing your CPA certification, you will need 150 academic credits. If you are working in public accounting, this will be a required step for full-time employment. Most BBA Accounting students who come out of their undergraduate degree with around 120 credits will continue on towards a Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) or a Master of Science in Taxation (MST). For more information, visit https://www.gvsu.edu/seidmangrad/