Undergraduate Degree

Requirements for an Accounting Major (BBA)

Accountants are the most trusted business advisors and an accounting education can lead to a highly respected and rewarding career. Accountants routinely earn incomes that are in the top 5% of the community in which they may live. If you elect to major in accounting, you may prepare yourself for a variety of accounting careers, and you may choose to fulfill the educational requirements for taking the Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.) and/or Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A.) examination. Accounting also provides an excellent undergraduate background for a degree in law.

In addition to the BBA CORE requirements, as an Accounting major, you must complete an additional 19 credit hours, as follows:

You must take one of the following two courses:

And one of the following two courses:

And one of the following two courses:

 When you enter the accounting program at Seidman, we assume you have a basic knowledge of spreadsheets before you enroll in upper-division accounting courses.

In order to graduate in accounting, you must achieve a 2.5 minimum GPA for upper-division accounting courses. If your GPA for upper-division accounting courses falls below 2.5 (after you've completed nine hours) you will not be permitted to take additional upper-division accounting courses. However, you may repeat upper-division accounting courses for which you received a low grade. Only upper-division accounting courses in which you have earned a "C-" or better may be used to satisfy requirements for an accounting degree. You must also meet other requirements of the undergraduate business program.

If you want an academic background in financial accounting which fulfills the C.P.A. accounting program requirements, we encourage you to meet with an accounting faculty member for guidance.

If you want an academic background in management accounting which fulfills the C.M.A. accounting program requirements, we also encourage you to take ACC 310, 311, 321, 322, 329, 340, 414, and 415.

Specific requirements for the CPA-certification can be obtained by visiting the Michigan State Board of Accountancy Web site. Specific requirements for the CMA certificate can be obtained by visiting the Institute of Management Accountants' Web site.

You are encouraged to expand your horizons through participating in accounting internships and studying abroad. We recommend study at Kingston University in England, where you will take ACC 330 International Accounting.

Page last modified April 5, 2017