Links to Formatting, Publishing, and Scholarship
We recognize that all writers work at their own pace. If you're away from the Writing Center while you're working, feel free to browse these helpful links for support on your own time.
Note: We highly recommend consulting with the print style guides to answer questions regarding the documentation of sources and formatting of manuscripts--those texts are the most comprehensive and definitive.
- GVSU Libraries Interactive Tutorial - MLA
- GVSU Libraries Interactive Tutorial - APA
- Excelsior Citation/Documentation - MLA/APA/Chicago
- Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition
- GVSU Library Guides: Citing Sources (includes help with many styles of documentation)
- College student's guide to citation styles (sciences, humanities, social sciences)
- Purdue OWL - APA
- Purdue OWL - MLA
Grammar and Mechanics Assistance:
Discipline-Specific Writing Guides:
- Purdue OWL: Professional, Technical, & Job Search Writing Resources
- GVSU Writing Department's Creative Writing Resources
- Purdue OWL's Subject-Specific Resources (Technical/Professional Writing, Creative Writing, Journalism, the Social Sciences, Engineering, Writing about Literature, and Medical Writing)
- LabWrite (With funds from the National Science Foundation, LabWrite walks through the process of conducting labs & lab reports)
- GVSU Library Guides to Research by Subject
GVSU Resources that Support Research, Scholarship, and Creative Work Through Grants and Programming
Proposals: Book, Dissertation, or Grant
- Supports grant proposal writers through workshops, quality circles, and other programming. Also provides travel grants, research grants, information on ethical research, and much more.
Purdue's OWL: "Academic Book Proposals"
- A good introduction to writing book proposals; includes references to multiple books/articles you might want to read further along the way.
University of Texas, Austin's website: "Sample Dissertation Proposals"
- A wide selection of dissertation proposals, grouped by disciplines.
University of California, Berkeley's website: "Dissertation Proposal Workshop"
- Comprehensive resource to help writers navigate the process of writing a dissertation proposal.
University of North Carolina's website: "Grant Proposals (or give me the money!)"
- An overview to writing successful grant proposals.
Academic Writing / Publishing Advice
Book Review: "Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks," Chronicle of Higher Education
Advice/Strategies: Faculty Writing Workshop, Inside Higher Education
- Links to a series of columns on a wide variety of writing issues, such as finding good readers for your work, proofreading and editing your writing, and making the time to write on a regular basis.
Advice/Strategies: Writers' Bootcamp Blog Posts, Chronicle of Higher Education
- Links to a series of columns on a wide variety of writing issues, such as working through writers' block finding time to write, and collaborative writing.
- GVSU's Office of Undergraduate Research (maintains a web page of local publication & presentations venues for undergraduates)
- Fishladder (GVSU's undergraduate literary magazine)
- Vinette (An online student publication at GVSU that celebrates good writing and good design)
- Grand Valley Journal of History (a student-run journal that publishes scholarship in history).
- Wake: Great Lakes Thought & Culture (edited at GVSU, this journal publishes articles and creative writing that "evokes the broad culture of the Great Lakes")
- In Our Own Words (Journal published by the GVSU Women's Center)
- Grand Valley Lanthorn (GVSU's student newspaper)
- GVSU's Writing Department (maintains information about how to submit to literary journals, along with a long list of publication outlets)
Mount Mercy's Website-- Scholarly Publishing: Books, Journals, and Conferences
- Comprehensive website that links to publication outlets by discipline, as well as articles about how to navigate the academic publication process.
Benefits of a Writing Group & How to Facilitate
"Get Together to Write," Academe
"New Faculty Writing Groups," Chronicle of Higher Education
"Online Writing Groups (dissertators & new faculty)," Chronicle of Higher Education
"Starting a Dissertation Writing Group (In a Writing Center)," Chronicle of Higher Education
Have other questions? Stop in and visit! Or call us at 331-2922.