recent sustainability news
Welcome to the Office of Sustainability Practices
The Sustainability office has been in place at GVSU for 13 years, and Sustainability is now the seventh value at the University.
We have moved from initiatives to defined practices in administration and campus operations, educational opportunities, student involvement, and community engagement.
GVSU is known locally, regionally, nationally, and globally for applied sustainability best practices on campus and in the community.
Grand Valley State University Sustainability Journey
Sustainable Reinvestment Fund
Through the contributions of various departments, mini grants are available for sustainable development projects, both on campus and in the community. This Reinvestment Fund supports projects that can be replicated across the university, working in support of GVSU’s goal of becoming a national leader in sustainable practice.
10 WAYS TO LEAD A SUSTAINABLE LIFESTYLE ON CAMPUS
- Use one of the many water bottle refilling stations throughout campus or refill your bottles at home, rather than buying water.
- Save energy by turning off lights, TVs, and computers, as well as unplugging electrical items when not in use.
- Use alternative transportation modes to reduce emissions and save fuel by carpooling and riding the bus, which is free to GVSU students, faculty and staff members. Click here to see GVSU's bus routes and schedules.
- Reduce your printing needs by accessing electronic resources through the library.
- Practice recycling and composting daily by disposing of your items in the designated places on- and off-campus.
- Stay active by regularly walking, biking, hiking and attending exercise programs.
- Eat healthy and select fair-trade, local, and organic options, when available.
- Enroll in any of Grand Valley's many sustainability related courses.
- Purchase only what you need; buy used, barter, trade, or make your own for less.
- Engage in service projects by joining a sustainability-related student or community organization.