How to Get the Most from Your Volunteers
Happy Independence Day! Can you believe it’s July already?
As a follow-up to the 2022 Annual MI-ACE Women’s Network Conference, the Executive Board would like to thank the many individuals who signed up to volunteer for committee assignments and become more involved with Network activities. Getting involved in the Network is another way that we can support the professional development of women in higher education.
As the premier organization for women in higher education in the state, below are some tips from the Network’s leadership to assure that volunteers are successful in their efforts, as well as make their service a rewarding experience:
- First, and foremost, personalize your interest in their success.
- Assign volunteers to committees that match their abilities or interests.
- Train the volunteer in the various functions of the committee and culture of the organization.
- As committee chair(s), allow committee members to function. Don’t do everything yourself. There is no more hopeless a feeling than wanting to contribute, but not being allowed to do so.
- Seek opportunities to showcase committee members.
As leaders, we must understand that everyone has value and everyone has something to contribute – if encouraged. Let us work as a team.