2022-25 Public Policy Priorities
2022-2025 MI-ACE Public Policy Priorities: Background
As the Voice for Women in Michigan Higher Education, it has been a long-standing practice of the MI-ACE Women’s Network to ask members to prioritize public policy issues that align with its mission.
A survey was distributed in August 2022, requesting that respondents rank the public policy issues they felt needed the attention, priority, voice, and visibility of the MI-ACE Women’s Network.
Over 120 responses were received. Most respondents were affiliated with MI-ACE as annual conference attendees, committee members, persons working at member institutions, Institutional Representatives, and MI-ACE Executive Board members.
The following three priorities received the most votes and were approved by the MI-ACE Executive Board for adoption in 2022-2025:
2022-2025 MI-ACE Public Policy Priorities
Overarching the public policy priorities listed below is that the MI-ACE Women’s Network supports gender equity and equality. Also, the Network understands that local, state, and national public policies will set the tone for institutional change.
- Pay Equity for women at all levels of positions
- Equal access at entry positions
- Equal pay to fill existing wage gaps
- Work/Life Integration
- Expand family leave policies
- Access to affordable childcare
- Paid family leave
- Funding and access for efforts to understand and respond to mental health challenges and prevent violence that affects campus communities, particularly in underserved areas. Advocate for:
- Mental health education, services, and best practices to prevent and address anxiety, depression, suicide, and substance abuse
- Gun violence protection laws that safeguard communities, including higher education campuses
- Reinforced gun violence prevention and response training for law enforcement, faculty, staff, and students