Your Award and myBanner FAQ

Pending aid is either authorized or memoed status, meaning the funds have been deducted from the student bill. Authorized aid will be applied as a direct credit to the account once funds have been received from the Federal Government. Memoed add will be applied as a direct credit once funds are received from the source (typically an alternative loan lender).

Follow the instructions below to accept/decline offered financial aid funds:

Log in to myBanner by going to with your network ID and password.

Once you have logged in: Click "Financial Aid" --> Click "Award" --> Click "Award for Aid Year" --> Select "Award Year 2020-2021" from the drop-down --> Click the  "Accept Award Offer" tab --> Accept/Decline your OFFERED funds from the drop down

If your account reflects that the student will receive a refund, we can provide you with a landlord letter. This letter will state the estimated amount of your financial aid refund. Prior to the start of classes you can request a letter by calling or emailing the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, stopping by our office, or submitting an online request. We cannot submit the letter directly to your landlord; letters will be emailed to your Grand Valley email account. If you need a landlord letter after classes have started you can contact us directly to request one.

  • REGISTRATION: An undergraduate student must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits in order for a federal loan to pay out. A grad student must be registered for a minimum of 4.5 credits in order for the federal loan to pay out. Once registered, please allow 24-48 hours for your financial aid to be applied to your account.
  • PRO-RATION: The Pell Grant is prorated based on enrollment. You will be offered the maximum as a full-time student but we will adjust the disbursed amount based on your class registration.
  • MPN/ENTRANCE LOAN COUNSELING: If these requirements have not been completed, your loans will not be applied to your account. These requirements are for NEW student loan borrowers.
  • MISSING DOCUMENTATION: If you are missing a required document such as a concurrent enrollment form, verification, TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay, etc. your aid will not be applied to your account.

GVSU has several options to search for scholarships to help fund your education. Please find this information at Scholarships can differ, some require need based and that must be demonstrated per the FAFSA guidelines. While others may be merit based.

Send the information by mail or fax & include G# on all correspondence.

Work study is based on need. We offer students work study based on your FAFSA information. If you are not offered Federal Work Study but are eligible you may request work study be added to your award if funding is available.

The packaging of aid for each group of students is different. The federal loan limit increases by grade level as a result the amount of grant money you are eligible for may decrease. If you feel you need us to review your situation, a counselor can provide you with a special circumstances appeal form. We'll review your request and let you know if we can approve additional grant assistance within 2-3 weeks.

The list below are some of the most common problems:

  • You have not filed a FAFSA. Remember you have to file a FAFSA for each academic year. The FAFSA you filed as a freshman does not carry over into future years.

  • You have not accepted your award. Login to myBanner and accept your awards.

  • You have accepted your award but have not completed the additional documentation. This problem is most common for those students who have accepted student loans. In order for your student loan to disburse, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling. Also, if you have accepted a Perkins Loan, there are additional forms to sign before the loans can disburse.

  • You filed a FAFSA but have not responded to requests for additional information. Examples of missing information are: Verification (tax information), birth certificates, Social Security card.

  • You recently had an academic transcript sent to GVSU. Whenever a new academic transcript is received, an automatic 7 day transfer hold is placed on your account. After the 7 days have passed, your financial aid will disburse towards your bill.

Disbursement letters are sent to all student and parent federal loan borrowers. The letter states the amount of loans that have been applied to that semester. This letter can be kept for your records, unless you did not intend to take this loan in which case you should contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Page last modified February 19, 2021