Late Registration & Dropping or Withdrawing from Classes

Fall/Winter Semesters

The Withdrawal Policy Regarding Tuition and Fees states that students who register for classes for any given semester are obligated to pay full tuition and fees for that semester unless they officially withdraw from the university prior to the start of classes. If you begin classes at Grand Valley, receive financial aid, and then withdraw, your financial aid will be adjusted according to federal regulations. Visit with a financial aid counselor or contact our office for more information regarding your specific situation.

We strongly recommend that you contact us prior to withdrawing if you have been awarded financial aid.

Dropping Classes

  • If you drop a course(s) during the drop/add period (100 percent refund) but are still enrolled in credits, your eligibility for aid will be recalculated based on the new number of credits. You will be billed for any funds you received but were not eligible for based on your new credit load. If you drop all courses during the 100% refund period your financial aid will be canceled.

Partial Withdrawal

  • If you withdraw from some of your courses during 75 percent refund period but are still enrolled in credits, this is considered a partial withdrawal. The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will determine if you will receive the tuition refund or if your financial aid is required to be reduced. This determination is based on specific requirements of federal, state, and institutional programs. Withdrawing from credits may also place you in jeopardy of not meeting the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for future semesters.

Official Complete Withdrawal

  • For any student who officially withdraws, federal regulations require that all withdrawal calculations be completed within 45 days of the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships being notified of your complete withdrawal.  This federal calculation will determine the amount of unearned federal financial aid funds that must be returned to the Department of Education. For more information about the calculation, please see below. If you withdraw during the tuition refund period, Grand Valley will return required financial aid funds prior to releasing any refund of tuition. We strongly recommend that you contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships prior to withdrawing if you have been awarded financial aid.
  • Withdrawing from credits may also place you in jeopardy of not meeting the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards for future semesters.
  • To officially withdraw from all of your courses for the current semester students should submit a complete withdrawal form to the Registrars Office. The complete withdrawal form is located in the Forms Library section of the Registrar's Office website. It may also be possible to complete the withdrawal process through your myBanner account.  The date used to determine withdrawal will be the date that you official withdrawal from your courses
  • If you completely withdraw after the tuition refund period, your financial aid could be reduced as a result of the Federal R2T4 calculation. This may create a balance that you must repay to Grand Valley.
  • If you completely withdraw before 60 percent of the semester is complete, you will be required to repay a portion of your federal student aid.

Unofficial Withdrawal

  • It is important that you follow the process to officially withdraw from courses. If you do not officially withdraw, Federal regulation requires that we adjust your financial aid and/or complete a Federal Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation at the point in time we are made aware of the withdrawal. In many cases, this would be the end of the semester after grades have been reported by faculty.
  • Grand Valley faculty report a last date of academic activity (LDAA) for all students who receive a failing or no-credit (NC) grade. Our office will use this LDAA date to assess whether the grade was earned or unearned. Any date prior to exam week is considered an 'unearned' failing and NC grade.  All unearned failing and NC grades are considered unofficial withdraws and will likely result in a reduction or cancellation of financial aid.  

Late Registration

  • Your initial financial aid awards for fall/winter semester are based on full-time enrollment. Census occurs at the end of the day on the last day to drop/add courses for the semester (typically the Friday of the first week of classes). Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships evaluate your "actual" enrollment status for financial aid purposes and adjust your financial aid accordingly at that time. Please review how enrollment impacts your award to see how your award may change.
  • It is recommended that you determine and enroll in the courses you plan to complete for the entire semester during the drop/add period.

Additional courses registered for after the census date cannot be taken into consideration with regard to your financial aid eligibility, regardless of whether an exception was made by the Registrar's Office to allow late registration.

Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how Grand Valley must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Please note that federal regulations require that aid be returned to the Department of Education in the order listed above, within 45 days of your official withdrawal. 

Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period. If you withdraw during your payment period or period of enrollment, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or Grand Valley or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by Grand Valley and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

Post-Withdrawal Disbursement

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, Grand Valley must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. Grand Valley may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and on-campus housing and dining charges. Grand Valley needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other institutional charges. If you do not give your permission, you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow Grand Valley to keep the funds to reduce your debt to the school.

If you receive (or Grand Valley or parent receive on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, your school must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds

For any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a Direct PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.


Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with Grand Valley or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that Grand Valley may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. Grand Valley may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. Click here for more information on course withdrawals and how to official withdrawal. 

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, feel free to contact us. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web.

Page last modified August 28, 2018