Paying the Bill

Grand Valley's Student Accounts Office handles your bill for any Grand Valley related expenses.

When and how will I receive my bill?

Students will receive an email with directions to view their eBill on myBanner. You will receive a bill for each semester that you are enrolled. Fall billing is done in July, Winter billing is done in November and Spring/Summer billing is done in March.

What will be listed on my bill?

Your bill will outline all Grand Valley related expenses and any financial aid you have accepted. If you have accepted aid, and it is not listed on your bill, there is something further that needs to be done. Contact us if you have any questions about what you are missing. Any amount owing must be paid by the due date listed on the bill. It is very important to pay attention to this date. If you have an unpaid balance on the due date, your classes may be canceled.

What are my payment options?

You are able to pay your bill online, in person, or over the phone. The Student Accounts Office website outlines the types of payments accepted. Please review these carefully when making your payment. A deferment plan is also available through the Student Accounts Office.

Can my parent/guardian/family member pay my bill online?

Students are able to grant permission for an individual (proxy) to view selected student information in myBanner.  The student authorizes the proxy and what items the proxy may see.  If someone other than the student will be paying the bill, the student must designate that person as a proxy in order for them to view and pay the bill.  Click here for more information about Guardian/Family Access.

How is financial aid applied to my bill?

All financial aid that you have accepted and for which you have completed the requirements will show as a credit on your student bill. If your financial aid is not posted as a credit on your bill, you could have outstanding requirements. Please review our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us.

What if I have a credit balance because I have more financial aid than my charges?

If you have accepted financial aid funds in excess of your charges, these excess funds will be refunded to you during the second week of classes. If these funds are not needed for remaining educational expenses, you can contact us to reduce or cancel your loans.

Students with excess financial aid can sign up for direct deposit in myBanner under "Student Accounts." If you do not sign up for direct deposit, any excess funds will be mailed to your permanent address the second week of classes each semester.

You can check to see if you have a credit balance due to excess financial aid, and the amount of any credit balance, by viewing your e-bill.  Access your e-bill by following these instructions. A credit balance (excess financial aid) will display as a negative balance on your account. 

Students also have the option to use any excess financial aid funds to purchase text books through the University Bookstore by using their student ID. This option is available two weeks prior to the start of each semester and will continue through the drop/add period of the semester. After that point in time any excess aid will be refunded via direct deposit or paper check. Any needed books and/or supplies will then need to be purchased using your refund.

Page last modified October 31, 2023