Understanding Your Award
Students attending their first semester at GVSU will receive their initial financial aid award notification by mail to the permanent address. After the first paper award notification all change notifications for your award will be sent via email.
How do I accept or decline my award?
All grants and scholarship funds will automatically be accepted on your behalf. If you have loans or work study in an offered status you will need to accept or decline the award through myBanner in order to receive them.
Additional Loan Information: If you are accepting a Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan or a Perkins loan there are additional forms you need to complete. Please review Next Steps for more information.
How can I make changes to my award?
Once you have accepted your aid online, you cannot make changes to the information online. If you need to adjust the amount of loans or work study, please contact our office by calling 616-331-3234 or toll free at 800-748-0246. Award adjustment requests can also be made by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stopping by our office in-person.
Will the Financial Aid Office change my award?
Your award notification may change for many reasons. Please review how enrollment impacts your award to see how your award may change. The most common reasons for adjustments to your award are listed below:
- Change in residency status
- A change in your enrollment level (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.)
- Declining one or more awards on your account
- We have been notified that you have received other aid or had other resources of which we were unaware when the previous awards were made
- Your data and/or your parent data was incorrect and the error has been corrected
- Your summer financial aid has been processed
- We have been notified that you are repeating a previously passed course for the 3rd time and are not eligible to count this course(s) in your enrollment for aid
- We have been notified by another institution that you are receiving aid at both GVSU and the other school during the same period
Keep in mind:
Your initial financial aid awards are based on full-time enrollment. Census occurs at the end of the day on the last day to drop/add courses for the semester (typically the Friday of the first week of classes). Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to evaluate your "actual" enrollment status for financial aid purposes and adjust your financial aid accordingly at that time. Additional courses registered for after the census date cannot be taken into consideration with regard to your financial aid eligibility, regardless of whether an exception was made by the Registrar's Office to allow late registration.
If you have questions about why your award was changed, feel free to contact our office.