Code of Conduct for Financial Aid Professionals
I. Preamble and Purpose
This code of conduct applies to all financial aid professionals at Grand Valley State University. The intent of the code of conduct is to reiterate and reflect the University's continued commitment to conduct all financial aid practices with integrity, which are free from conflicts of interest, and are in the interest of students. At Grand Valley all financial aid professionals working within the Financial Aid Office shall adhere to the following policies, which have and will continue to govern our practices as it relates to all entities involved in any manner of financial aid.
The purpose of this policy is to clearly communicate our professional code of conduct, which prohibits conflicts of interest and establishes standards for all financial aid professionals working for the University.
II. Code of Conduct
- Refrain from taking any action for his or her personal benefit.
- Refrain from taking action she or he believes is contrary to law, regulation, or the best interest of the students and parents she or he serves.
- Ensure that the information he or she provides is accurate, unbiased, and does not reflect any preference arising from actual or potential personal gain.
- Be objective in making decisions and advising her or his institution regarding relationships with any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
- Refrain from soliciting or accepting anything of other than nominal value from any entity (other than the institution of higher education or a governmental entity such as the U.S. Department of Education) involved in the making, holding, consolidating or processing of any student loans, including anything of value (including reimbursement of expenses) for serving on an advisory body or as part of a training activity of or by any such entity.
- Disclose to her or his institution, in such a manner as her or his institution may prescribe, any involvement with or interest in any entity involved in any aspect of financial aid.