Spring/Summer Financial Aid Information
Are you planning to enroll in courses for Spring/Summer? An important factor in planning for Spring/Summer is to review the amount of federal aid you have utilized during the Fall and Winter semesters as this may limit your eligibility for Spring/Summer aid (including federal student loans). To discuss your unique situation please contact us or stop by our office at 100 Student Services Building.
Click the button above to submit your spring/summer financial aid application. In addition to this application, you must also have a 2017-18 FAFSA on file. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing. You will receive an e-mail at your GVSU student e-mail when we have finished processing your award.
- A 2017-2018 FAFSA for Summer 2018.
- Have a completed spring/summer application on file.
- Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits as an undergraduate and 4.5 credits as a graduate/doctoral student). Full-time enrollment for spring/summer is 12 credits for an undergraduate and 9 credits for graduate/doctoral students.
- The total credits for all spring/summer sessions will be combined to determine your total credit load. (For example: if you take 3 credits during the spring session and 3 credits during the summer session, your combined enrollment for the spring/summer term will be 6 credit hours.)
- Must be meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) criteria.
- Dropping or withdrawing from classes may result in recalculation of your financial aid eligibility and you may owe a balance. Click here for more information.
NOTE: You MUST complete the Spring/Summer Application in order to receive financial aid for the summer.
- Federal Direct Loans are awarded to eligible students. Your award amount for the fall/winter and spring/summer may not exceed your annual limit.
- Federal Pell Grants are awarded to eligible students.
- Federal Parent PLUS Loan is available to credit-worthy parents of dependent undergraduate students.
- Federal Graduate PLUS Loan is available to credit-worthy graduate or doctoral students.
- Alternative Loans are available to credit-worthy borrowers.
- A financial aid award notification will be emailed to all students with aid eligibility. Review your aid amounts for spring/summer and contact our office to cancel or reduce a loan amount.
- All awards will be based on half-time attendance.
- Log in to the myBanner system to accept your aid electronically. If you need specific instructions regarding the process, please click here.
- Starting the second week of classes, our office reviews your enrollment status. Adjustments may be made to your award based on your enrollment. If you are not enrolled at least half-time, your award will be canceled.
- If you are enrolled in first six week courses, refunds are processed during the second week of the spring session. You will know if an excess loan amount is coming to you if you see "Student Refund" on your eBill. Students enrolled in only second six week courses will receive excess loan funds during the second week of the summer session.
NOTE: Please visit the Student Accounts website for payment due dates, deferment options, and to set up direct deposit.