Frequently Asked Questions

File a Students of Concern CARE report under the CARE section of the Dean of Students website.  You can file a CARE report for yourself or for someone you may be concerned about.  A Dean of Students Office staff member will reach out to follow up as soon as possible.

*In case of emergency, please call 9-1-1.  For the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline call 9-8-8*

For a Dean of Students Office HOLD on an account, please call the Dean of Students Office at 616-331-3585.

For a Student Conduct HOLD on an account, or to schedule a Conduct or Conflict Resolution meeting, reach out via email to an Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSSCR) representative to resolve your standing with the University.

For information about other HOLDS, please visit the Registrar's Office website.

Students should advocate for themselves by first speaking with the professor.  If the professor cannot or will not resolve the issue, reach out to the department chairperson/unit head (chairperson/unit head information is found on each GVSU major, minor, or program webpage).  If the conflict is not resolved at the department chair/unit head level, contact the Dean of the appropriate University college

If a student continues to have difficulty with a faculty member or situation after contacting the professor, unit head/department chair, and Dean, please reach out to the Student Ombuds or the Office of the Provost for additional assistance.

Follow the academic grievance procedure.

The Student Ombuds is also a resource to discuss your issue.

Contact Grand Valley Department of Public Safety at (616) 331-3255.

If there is an immediate threat or you feel unsafe, please call 9-1-1.

Visit the GVSU Health Hub for information, or set up an appointment at the GVSU Campus Health Center (Allendale) or the GVSU Family Health Center (Grand Rapids).

Check out Recreation & Wellness | Student Wellness resources!

Page last modified August 15, 2022