Welcome to Grand Valley State University!
At Grand Valley, you will be part of a university that is large enough to open a world of new possibilities but small enough to provide you with the personal support and attention you need to be ready to move forward in the world with confidence — no matter what’s next.
Nearly 400 international students from over 70 different countries choose to call Grand Valley home. Our safe and welcoming campuses in Allendale and Grand Rapids are located at the center of a strong West Michigan economy, and just minutes away from beautiful Lake Michigan. We offer more than 140 undergraduate and graduate degrees, with some of the most modern campuses in Michigan.
Watch the welcome video to learn more about the International Student experience at GVSU.
Why Choose Grand Valley?
The Chronicle of Higher Education named Grand Valley a Fulbright Top Producing Institution for the number of faculty members who teach and conduct research overseas. More than 55 Grand Valley faculty and staff members have earned Fulbright awards since 1964.
Real Research: Real Impact
At Grand Valley, we don’t require you to wait until you are pursuing an advanced degree to conduct the kind of research that has impact -- both on you and society. Undergraduates study everything from Parkinson’s to antibiotic resistance to disease in bats, giving them crucial real-world experience and making discoveries that affect their field.
- Dedicated faculty members who relish the opportunity to work with students in their laboratories or in the field will lead your learning.
- You also have a chance to conduct independent research with the helpful-but-not-intrusive guidance of a faculty member.
- Grand Valley regularly showcases students’ research, allowing them a venue to share their findings with the academic community.
Hands-on learning and other fieldwork not only deepen your mastery of your discipline but also give you the edge employers will seek. As a Laker, you will have the knowledge, the real-world experience, and the tools to make it all work together. Your education will prepare you to thrive in in-demand industries like engineering, business, and life sciences.
- Nearly 8,400 students gain experience in internships and co-ops every year.
- Fieldwork is built into the curriculum for many degrees, so your hands-on work and coursework effectively complement each other.
- Advisors, faculty members, and others actively work to find you the best fieldwork opportunities.
- There are many options for paid internships and co-ops, giving you some help financially while learning.
MICHIGAN'S 2ND LARGEST CITY
- Grand Valley is located in the heart of Grand Rapids, providing students and graduates access to a variety of industries from health professions, engineering, business, and more.
- Grand Rapids has the fastest growing economy in the U.S.
- Find internships, co-ops, volunteer, and research opportunities, all easily accessible from downtown Grand Rapids.
- Be part of a growing city, with emerging businesses and industries, include over 130 international companies.
- Living-Learning Communities are now available in Winter Hall. Students can choose from the Seidman Business community, Engineering community, Social Work community, or the Momentum House. Visit our Living Learning Community page for details.
THE HEART OF HEALTHCARE
- Located on the "Medical Mile", Grand Valley's Health Campus is a catalyst for healthcare partnerships and joint research ventures.
- This location places students within walking distance of clinical and unique learning experiences at organizations such as Spectrum Health and the Van Andel Institute.
- The Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) and Ralleigh J. Fainkelstein Hall are state-of-the-art facilities housing classrooms, laboratories, and hospital simulation labs.
- The new DeVos Center for Interprofessional Health (opening in May) will be the flagship of the Health Campus, allowing interaction between students from all nursing and health professions programs.
A LEADER IN STEM
- 7,392 GVSU students did student teaching, clinical, fieldwork, co-op, internship, and practicum in 2019-2020.
- Grand Valley remains the leading provider of health care professionals in our region with over 9,300 students enrolled in our 65 health-related programs.
- 4,927 GVSU students received clinical placements in 2019-2020.
- The Padnos School of Engineering was ranked one of the best undergraduate engineering programs in the country in U.S. News and World Report's "2020 Best Colleges" rankings.
- Students in Grand Valley's Nursing and Engineering programs boast a 100% pass rate on licensure exams.
- Grand Valley's Engineering programs were rated one of the best in the midwest in U.S. News & World Report's "2021 Best Colleges" rankings.
- Grand Valley's Computer Science programs were rated one of the best in the midwest in U.S. News & World Report's "2021 Best Colleges" rankings.
International Student Resources
Academics and Programs
A comprehensive overview of academics at Grand Valley.
Tuition and Fees
This page will help you understand our tuition, housing, dining, and parking permit costs.
International Student Scholarships
A page dedicated to scholarship opportunities for international students.
Admitted International Student Information
Next steps for international students that have been admitted to GVSU.
Upcoming International Student Events
Attending one of our events is a great way to get information about becoming an international student at Grand Valley.