International Undergraduate Admissions Requirements

All International Students

To be considered for admission, ALL International Students must submit each of the following items:

Transfer Students:
See International Transfer Students section for additional requirements


For applicants outside of the US:

  • Fall (August start date): May 1
  • Winter (January start date): October 15

For applicants inside of the US:

  • Fall (August start date): July 1
  • Winter(January start date): December 1


Complete the International application for admission.

$30 Application Fee

The non-refundable application fee ($30 in U.S. funds) is payable by credit card or money order.

Personal Statement

Students must write a 500 word personal statement on their goals and reasons for wanting to enter Grand Valley State University. 


Fall 2022 applicants: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we will accept emailed transcripts and test scores for admissions purposes. Please note, we will need official transcripts and test scores before sending your I-20. You can send all documents to [email protected]

Students will need to submit official copies of external exam scores, as well as official copies of internal grades. We generally advise applicants to submit secondary school (high school) official transcripts for grades 9 through 12, in order to ensure prompt processing.

  • Original, attested, or certified copy of all academic records from all secondary schools and/or universities you have attended
  • Diplomas or graduate certificates from all high schools or universities where you have earned a degree
  • National exit test results (if applicable)
  • Students taking the WAEC will need to submit an unused scratch card with their application.
  • We will only accept high quality transcripts scans.  We will not accept photos of transcripts, transcripts scanned with smartphone apps, screenshots of transcripts or transcripts scanned with smartphone photo apps.

These records must be submitted in English or accompanied by a certified English translation.

Test Scores

For admission, all international students must take one of the approved English proficiency exams, complete Level 112 at ELS Language Center or take the ACT or SAT.  Students from an English proficiency exam waiver country do not need to take an exam for admission.

All test scores must be sent from the testing service.  We are not able to accept unofficial test scores.

  • TOEFL: 80 (we do not accept "My Best" score for admission)
  • IELTS: 6.5
  • Duolingo: 105
  • PTE: 53

Send official SAT and/or ACT test scores directly to Grand Valley

English proficiency exam waiver countries:

  • Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada, Dominica, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Grand Cayman Islands, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, North Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, St. Christopher-Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, Zambia, and Zimbabwe

Verification of Financial Support (to be submitted after admission)

Undergraduate students must have sufficient finances to cover tuition, fees, and housing costs for one year at Grand Valley. Undergraduate students must have a minimum of $29,750 USD in financial support.  If a student will not be paying for their education on their own, sponsors must be identified on the financial verification form.

Students or the sponsor(s) of a student must send the following documents to [email protected] for an I-20 to be created:

  • Statement of Financial Support 
  • Bank statement shows a minimum balance of $29,750 USD. Bank statement balances can be listed in the student/sponsors local currency. As long as the balance, when converted into USD, meets the minimum amount required then your documents will be accepted. If you are unsure how your local currency will convert into USD, you may use the XE Currency Converter
    • Must show at least 3 months of transaction history on the account 
    • Must be less than six months old 

 Students who will be supported by an institution, foundation, or government agency, your financial sponsor must submit a letter of support on official letterhead. The letter must include:

  • Grand Valley State University
  • Specify the expenses to be paid on your behalf
  • Indicate that the institution or agency has adequate financial resources to guarantee your first year of study


You can find the estimated tuition and living expenses on the International Tuition and Fees website. Fall tuition and fees are set by the university in July and will be published on the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship website. International students will be charged non-resident tuition. 

International Transfer Students

All transfer students are required to submit an official transcripts from their university or college. Transcripts are considered official if they are sent directly from your university/college to Grand Valley. Students cannot send or scan their transcripts to Grand Valley.

  • Transcripts from U.S. institutions can be requested through the Registrar's Office or Student Records. Transcripts will be accepted physically or electronically. Upon receiving transcripts, an official evaluation of transfer credit will be done. 
  • Transcripts from non-U.S. institutions must be in  include an English translation along with the original document in the student's native language. 


Transfer Credit 

If you attended a U.S. community college or university, you can find which classes will transfer into Grand Valley on the Course Equivalency Guide

If you attended a non-U.S. college of university, you can look through the equivalency guide to see if previous students received credit from your university. If you do not find your college or university, you will need to send course descriptions, in English, to [email protected]. You are not required to submit course description, but we will not be able to award credit if we do not receive course descriptions for your coursework.

Page last modified March 31, 2022