International Graduate Admissions Requirements

To be considered for admission, you must submit

Please note that some graduate programs have additional requirements

International students cannot apply to the Medical Dosimetry or Educational Technology programs  

Transfer Students:
See International Graduate Transfer Students section for additional requirements


For applicants outside of the US:

  • Fall application deadline is May 1
  • Winter application deadline is October 15

For applicants inside of the US:

  • Fall application deadline is July 1
  • Winter application deadline is December 1


Certain graduate programs have different deadlines. Please review your intended program's requirements.


Complete the International application for admission.

$30 Application Fee

The nonrefundable application fee ($30 in U.S. funds) is payable by credit card or money order.

Personal Statement

One- to two-page personal statement indicating your academic goals and the ways in which this graduate program can help you attain your professional goals. This statement must be typed and signed.


Winter 2021 and Fall 2021 applicants: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we will accept emailed transcripts and test scores for admissions purposes. Please note, we will need official documents before creating your I-20. You can send all documents to

  • Original, attested, or certified copy of all academic records from all colleges and/or universities you have attended.
  • Diplomas or graduate certificates from all universities where you have earned a degree.

 If your transcripts are not in English, then you will need to submit an English translated transcript along with the original transcript.  Transcripts printed in English do not need a credential evaluation.

Test Scores

Send official TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or Duolingo test results directly to Grand Valley

  • TOEFL: 80 (we do not accept "My Best" score)
  • IELTS: 6.5
  • PTE: 53
  • Duolingo: 105

ELS Language Center Level 112

For students who need to strengthen their English skills, the ELS Language Center is a great option. Located on our main campus in Allendale, ELS Language Centers is America's leading provider of English language instruction. ELS offers four-week-long English courses at 12 different levels. Undergraduate students may fulfill Grand Valley's English requirement by completing level 112 in the ELS curriculum. To attend ELS Language Center, you need to submit a separate application to ELS. For more information, contact the ELS Center Director, Lisa Wooning at

The following graduate programs will accept ELS Level 112 to satisfy English proficiency requirements:

  • Computer Information Systems
  • Cell and Molecular Biology
  • Health Informatics and Bioinformatics
  • Biostatistics
  • Health Administration


Applicants from the following countries do not need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS:

  • Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada, Dominica, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Grand Cayman Islands, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, North Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, St. Christopher-Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, Zambia, and Zimbabwe

GRE Score Report:

  • Required for students applying to Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Biostatistics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Engineering, Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, Physician Assistant Studies and School Psychology Specialist.

Verification of Financial Support (to be submitted after admission)

Graduate students must have sufficient finances to cover tuition, fees, and housing costs for one year at Grand Valley. Graduate students must have a minimum balance of $23,000 USD. If a student will not be paying for their education on their own, sponsors must be identified on the statement of financial support which can be found on page 6 of the international student application. 

Students or the sponsor(s) of a student must send the following documents to for an I-20 to be created:

  • Statement of Financial Support 
  • Bank statement shows a minimum balance of $23,000 USD. Bank statement balances can be listed in the student/sponsors local currency. As long as the balance, when converted into USD, meets the minimum amount required then your documents will be accepted. If you are unsure how your local currency will convert into USD, you may use the XE Currency Converter
    • Must show at least 3 months of transaction history on the account 
    • Must be less than six months old 


Students who will be supported by an institution, foundation, or government agency, your financial sponsor must submit a letter of support on official letterhead. The letter must include:

  • Grand Valley State University
  • Specify the expenses to be paid on your behalf
  • Indicate that the institution or agency has adequate financial resources to guarantee your first year of study


You can find the estimated tuition and living expenses on the International Tuition and Fees website. Fall tuition and fees are set by the university in July and will be published on the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship website. International students will be charged non-resident tuition. 

International Graduate Transfer Students

Grand Valley welcomes transfer students from U.S. and international colleges and universities.

As part of the application, we will ask you to provide an original, official transcript from your current college or university. The transcript must show the classes you have taken, the number of credits or hours that are assigned to each class, and the grade or mark that you received. 

In order to give credit for non-U.S. courses, we will need course descriptions. Course descriptions are not required for colleges and universities located in the U.S., as those courses will be reviewed automatically. The course descriptions are not required for admission, but if they are submitted with the application, your courses can be reviewed quicker. Course descriptions can be sent directly to

Please also review the “All International Students” section above.